help. extremely sick chicken emergency

Xtineart

Chirping
5 Years
May 3, 2014
I think she's got some kind of egg binding thing going on, possibly infection. She has definately laid yesterday and a broken thin shelled egg today but she's really been down the last few days, not wanting her treats, not wanting to run about with the rest, and just wanting to cuddle in on my knee to fall asleep. Her crop is clear and I cant feel any obstructions at her 'other' end. She doesnt want to eat at all this morning and is just sitting still / half asleep. she is clearly in pain when I lift her, and makes an 'oooft' sound. She has the tell tale clear/yellow/white tiny droppings, no dark poop at all. some blood but not much.

I dont know what to do, if I take her to the vet I know the stress will kill her if the vet doesnt simply put her down anyway.

Is it just cuddles till she passes away?>

just wanted to ad an update. I gave in and took her to the vet fully expecting her to be put to sleep as she'd not eaten for over a day and was just so sleepy and sad. He had a poke and a prod and gave her some anti inflammatory tablets, some painkillers and a bottle of antibiotics to see if we could save her. On the fist day she simply took her tablets and medicine and slept, same on day 2. on day 3 she laid an egg!!!!, and now she is scuttling about like nothing was ever wrong with her, making a massive fuss about being given medicine she doesn't want to take and eating and pooping like mad. Still no clue what was wrong with her but have already phoned the vet to say how well she is and how I'm so happy he managed to save her.

I'm glad to hear that she is so much better Xtineart! Sometimes things just get better without us ever knowing what the exact problem was. Well done for taking her to the vet - you are lucky to have one that treats chickens.

Back
Top Bottom