Help! fallen and can't get up :(

msrayna

Hatching
Jan 16, 2016
I have a chick that is a week old, and falls over when bumped by the other chicks or when cleaning herself. She was smaller than the rest of the chicks I hatched, but seems perfectly normal....until she gets bumped by the other chicks. She falls to her side and lays there, kicking her feet, and cheeping pitifully. When I pick her up and put her back on her feet, she runs off and seems fine. She eats and drinks without assistance, mingles with the rest of the chicks, doesn't have problems standing and moving around (unless she gets knocked around by the others), and she's not splay legged. She is growing at a slower pace than the other chicks, that are the same age. She is about half their size. If it weren't for her size, and the inability to right herself, I would say she is doing it for the attention. She is precious, but we are concerned that this issue could get progressively worse, or cause her problems later on. I am hoping it is just a side effect from being so small at hatching, and that she will grow out of it. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Welcome to BYC. She may be a weaker chick, but you can try to make sure that she is getting plenty to eat and drink. She may need a little extra warmth from the heat lamp than the others, so make sure the others have a cooler spot to get to. Put some vitamins and probiotics in the water, and when she is around 2 weeks old start giving bits of chopped egg to her to get some extra protein. Good luck with your chick.

Thank you for the welcome. I will continue the vitamins and start the egg as suggested, thank you. Except for not being able to get up after being knocked down, she eats all the time, drinks and runs around with the others. Just wish I knew if she will be ok or grow out of this and be able to get back on her feet without assistance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom