Help! First lockdown!

close up picture of liner. Use your tray as a measure and cut out to size.

This is taking forever! Its been 8 hours since they piped and nothing else has happened! How long until they start to zip im going to be a nervous wreck all night

How's it going? I had the same incubator for my first hatch-- unfortunately, it didn't go to well.. it was my first time and didn't get a hygrometer to measure humidity temps. I had 3 viable eggs at lockdown.. one pipped thru the air cell and I heard him- but stopped and never heard again. Day 25 I candled- no movement.. I think humidity was too high.
so not sure what happened.. it looks like you will have chicks soon!! Keep us posted. Oh and you can use the non slip rubber liners that you use for drawers for your base in the incubator. It has holes where the fan can still breath thru.

After they pip it can take another 24 hours before they zip. I seldom see progression before 12 hours and often it's closer to 24. I don't mess with anyone until 18 hours at least.

Here they are at about 12 hours, im freaking out bc the one on the left where you see more membrane i think i see a little blood, they are both moving and peeping though. Im about to he gone for like 8 hours im sad im going to miss that much

Well unfortunately only one made it. When i came home the one i thought had blood was hatched out completely and my little black one was dead in the egg:(

Well unfortunately only one made it. When i came home the one i thought had blood was hatched out completely and my little black one was dead in the egg:(

Awe. Sorry to hear you lost one. Every once in a while you will get a pipper that hits a vein, and you see a spot of blood. As long as it's a small amount, it is usually fine, if it's really bleeding, you can put a little corn starch on it to staunch the bleeding. It's hard to know when to start an assist, (I never would before 12 hours, I usually wait 18 at least) but go with your instincts. Just remember if you ever start an assist and there is still veins or bleeding, stop! It's not ready if you see prominent veining.

Had to run to our local feed store for some friends for my new baby he couldnt be alone
1f60a.png
my daughter named them clover and chilly off disney channel we are just going to have a whole flock of disney characters
1f602.png

Depends on your preference. I like to run higher humidity at hatch because I am hands on and the 1588 recommends no higher than 65% and I've talked to a couple people who have had to have their thermostat reset because high humidity threw it off. So, just that alone made me lean toward the 1583. Plus I can't see in spending the extra money for digital when the non digital holds the temps as well and I use my own thermometers and hygrometers. I very successfully hatched in an old Lg for 2 1/2 years, so I knew I didn't need any extras.
I'm sure temp control on the 1588 is nice, but to save the $ I can do without...lol My 1583 cost $122 I think it was total.

yes amazon has the 1583 for $122.15! im leaning toward that one i think because your right saving that money i could spoil my babies some other way lol and i have extra thermometers and hygrometers anyways that i use! I want to do some silkies and then maybe some quail and ducks for our farm. so im thinking buy another bator so ill have 2 and can double incubate! ahh this is so addicting! i first got the bator for my 4 year old to learn and we love to candle and watch the babies move on the inside and im pretty sure im more addicted than her now! im def. a hands on person and im nervous about this lockdown bc i love to candle my babies at night before their last turn. ive been able to turn them about 5 times a day since im a stay at home mommy. Any suggestion websites or threads would be appreciated! thanks for all your help also!

To answer your question on humidity left in my ovation, most table top incubators don't control humidity. You control it by how much surface area of water you have in the bator. If I am hatching standard eggs and my humidity stays above 25% I run dry and just monitor my air cells. I prefer 30% for my standards. If it's too low, like right now when I am still running my pellet stove, it's only 16%, so I add a wet sponge to my bator and just rewet it as needed. Doing my silkie eggs I need 40-45%, so I use the wet sponge. I only fill water wells at hatch time.

Back
Top Bottom