HELP! First-time Call Duck owner

dixiechick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
North Central Florida
Calling all BYCers!!!! I'm a chicken owner/breeder and now my kids have obtained two beautiful white call ducks. The breeders said they raised them on wire and provided a kitty-litter tray with water on one end and a nest on the other. These little guys (Mr Quackers and Aflac) are just that....little guys (young drakes). My question is: How do you build a nest for them? Size? They are in separate pens. Each pen is elevated with wire bottoms. Their pens are approximately 2'Hx2'Dx6'L.

Thanks so much!

If they are raised together they do fine. During breeding season, there could be an issue. Unless there is no female, they still may be fine. I have 4 males and 6 females that stay in the same pen and I do not have issues.

Quote:
I would put them together, they do enjoy being with others. As far as a nest, if you don't have females, you don't need a nesting box. They do need straw or pine shaving for comfort and an area at night for safety from predators, in my opinion.

I'd put them together too. I have a bachelor pen of drakes also, and only a few of these drakes were raised together.

Back
Top Bottom