Help! Flock Sick, Not Eating, Lethargic, Runny Poo, Color change in eggs to no eggs

Nslangton

Songster
10 Years
Jan 19, 2012
About five days ago my hens started acting lethargic. This started after they were given lots of tomatoes (not the plants, the tomato scraps from a huge batch of sauce we were making) They also were getting huge armfuls of weeds from our property. The next day we noticed them all laying in the corner of their run and not coming over to us as usual. They normally run to the door to meet us for their next treat. This behavior has continued. They stopped eating any treat being offered and continue to lay around. They are not eating their feed either. Their poop is runny. Yesterday we only got three eggs and usually get 6 or 7. The shells on the brown eggs were extremely light in color and the shells thinner. Today no eggs and they are still laying around. I put electrolytes in their water. I went to pick up my favorite hen and noticed she was hot and her crop was very smushy. I dipped her beak in the water and she threw up all over. I gave them a head of iceberg lettuce which normally would have been gone in about five minutes and they hardly touched it. Their eyes appear normal as well as their combs and wattles. I don't see any discharge from their nostrils. I am a clean freak and the coop is immaculate. We did get tons of rain and their were puddles in the run for several days. The food is the same bag they have been eating for a month. I am very worried. Please let me know if you have any ideas on what could be happening. Any suggestions on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am sick at the thought of loosing one hen let alone my whole flock.

Try looking up info for "impacted crop" or "sour crop." These are two different things, but I have only read about them and have no experience. Since all of your chickens are having problems, "sour crop" would be more likely. They will need to be treated very soon.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck.

Anyone Else? There is no change today. This was a sudden onset to the whole flock. Still not eating or drinking. Did notice a lot of white in the poop and one has a yellowish poop. Please offer any advice. Thanks

Anyone Else? There is no change today. This was a sudden onset to the whole flock. Still not eating or drinking. Did notice a lot of white in the poop and one has a yellowish poop. Please offer any advice. Thanks
I do not see any signs of mites, lice, or any other insect. I have inspected all poop and do not see any signs of worms either.

I think that you should read up on botulism. Were the tomatoes fresh? Not every chicken would come down with sour or impacted crop at the same time. Botulism on the other hand could effect the entire flock if they all ate the same tainted food.

I think that you should read up on botulism.   Were the tomatoes fresh?  Not every chicken would come down with sour or impacted crop at the same time.  Botulism on the other hand could effect the entire flock if they all ate the same tainted food.
[/quote
Thanks, I read up on it. The only symptom that they have shown so far is the closed eyelid. There was a lot of vegtable matter and rain with hot temps, so mold could be the cause. None of our vets deal in poultry. I spoke to a vet at the new Bolton center which is a division of the university of penn and they only take live birds, euthanize them and do an autopsy. I am sick. I don't want to sacrifice a hen when I know they all have the same thing and will die anyhow. The vet said to try creamed corn to see if they will pass the toxin. The only positive news is that we have not had a loss yet. My favorite hen has lost feathers around her vent and has some hard black spots on her skin. I have not seen any bugs or signs of worms and don't want to treat for that when they are distressed.

What a coincidence...I am taking a chicken to New Bolton today for a necropsy...

Hi Neighbor
frow.gif

What a coincidence...I am taking a chicken to New Bolton today for a necropsy...

Hi Neighbor
frow.gif
Oh no, not a good coincidence to have. Did your chicken die or are you trying to save your flock? I am sorry for you. My hens are not doing to well. I am just sick about it. Been crying all day. Your day doesn't seem like it is going any better. Im in Bucks county where are you located? Hope the rest of you chickens stay healthy. I'll say a few prayers for you too.

I'm dealing with Marek's. Have been for a year. I've lost 40+ chickens. I lost two this weekend. One was the roo in my avatar. My two sons and I sat with him and cried. We knew it was time. Finally, we went to bed at 1 AM..the next morning Patty Cochin was gone. It still breaks my heart.

I am in NW Chester County so, New Bolton is not very far away. An easy drive. This is the third necropsy I have had done. When a chicken dies and doesn't show the symptoms I have come to expect, I have a necropsy done. I don't want another disease sneaking in my back door when I'm not looking. Marek's is enough.

I hope your chickens start recovering. Thank you for your prayers and I will keep you in mine, also.

Thanks again. I am so sorry for you, I was hoping I wouldn't have to research diseases. My girls were all so healthy. We don't let them free-range due to so many predators, so we give them tons of stuff that they would have access to if they were out. Vegetables, fruits, weeds, grasses, hay, bugs, seeds, etc. are given in abundance. Then it poured for a few days and it was really hot and humid so I am thinking some sort of toxin poisoning like mold. There were puddles in the run for days and the bugs are ridiculous. They are not hanging their heads down and do not seem to be showing signs of paralysis so I don't think botulism. They did eat the creamed corn; however they are not eating anything else. They lay around all day and fall asleep while they are standing. No scratching, running, flying, or eggs. I am still hoping they will pull through. If not I will take one for the necropsy at New Bolton and let you know the results.

Back
Top Bottom