Help for baby gosling...

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
After waiting since December, I finally had a gosling hatch but I think the membrane hardened and kept the baby in the shell too long. The baby hatched yesterday with my help. I found the egg in the incubator with the pip and could hear the baby peeping. When no progress was made after about 24 hours, I cracked the shell around where the air sack edge met the shadow in the egg and put the egg back in the incubator. After several more hours, btw, I couldn't see any veins in the shell, I removed the top of the shell and put a warm wet paper towel over the baby's head and put it back in the incubator. Yesterday morning when the baby still hadn't gotten out of the shell, I put the shell under warm running water and surprisingly, the baby floated up out of the shell. The baby didn't seem to be able to hold it's head up properly so I just held it under the water for a little while. I did not let the head under the water, just the body. Then I wet another paper towel and wrapped it loosely around the baby and put it back in the incubator. Several hours later I went to check on it and it was still wrapped in the paper towels and still couldn't hold it's head up properly. I put it in a cup and put a wet paper towel over the cup. My husband checked on the baby last night and thought the cup was holding too much heat and took the baby out of the cup and when I checked the baby this morning, it is looking good but still not holding it's head up right.

I have heard of wry neck and I am afraid this baby might have it. Is there anything I can do for it? I saw a wry neck adult in someone's yard on facebook, so they can live?

Back
Top Bottom