Help for Flokie the goat

glassdragonfly

Crowing
Sep 3, 2019
Ozark,mo
Hi All, Got a problem with a 7 yr old goat,hoping for some ideas. I will try to keep this as short as I can.
Beginning of December a neighbor brought me a aluminum foil baking pan that Flokie was chewing on,a piece a little bigger than a dorito was missing. Kept a close eye on him and he seemed fine for a few weeks.
Into the middle of January he got a head cold and was coughing a little. Used garlic and honey,lemon water and that cleared up in about a week. But as that was getting better the real trouble started.
His rumen was off a bit,belly very loud and belching way more than normal. Gave him molasses,walked him. Never bloated. Did not improve like normal.
So the rumen problem has gotten worse. It has progressed to belching up liquid cud to the point of it coming out his nose and running down his chin. Was advised to let him browse and that seems to help.
In the mornings hes worse,I give him probios and check his belly(never bloated) Seems to calm his belly and he sleeps quietly.Seems depressed.
Later I take him for a walk and let him browse,At this time hes excited and active. Belly is quieter,eats good.
I have no way to check for fever,but ears feel the same as everyone else. Poops are normal but small berries and not as much. Pee fine so I know hes drinking more than I see. Refuses to eat hay. Eyes gums and tongue are nice and pink. Teeth seem fine just cold water hurts them so I bring him warm water. Does not seem to be in pain,takes a good rubbing and wants more. No wounds,not hunched over,tail down in morning but up in the afternoon.
He has been on probois for over a week now.Losing weight fast.
I'm stumped,been searching like mad but not finding anything. Vet is not an option(fixed income and their prices have gone through the roof!)
This is him about two weeks ago, not belching up as bad as this but some.
Any ideas?
DSC01192.JPG

I doubt if the problem is related to the aluminum foil. If it is, surgery would be necessary. I have had a few goats over the years that threw up in the past for unknown reasons. No matter what I did, the outcome was not good. I have no idea what to tell you. I am sorry.

Hi,I agree cassie,I think he would have gone down faster if it was the pan. StinkyAcres, He is still regurgitating and only coughs when its so much he has trouble getting it back down. He has improved the last couple of days. Not so bad this morning and eating some hay,gave him probios and he took a walk with the rest of the herd around the field,(they have about 3 acres)then took a nap. In the afternoon he jumped up ready to come out and walk with me to some browse that's starting to green up,when I put him back in the field he took another walk around with everyone else. Saw him chewing cud. I'm so glad he's walking and has a better attitude,he was just laying around and pouting. Was spoiled already but getting worse! :D Here he his this afternoon. Hope this is the road to recovery.:fl
DSC01195.JPG

Back
Top Bottom