Help for sick week old silkie please?

StaceC

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2016
Hey all, I've got a week old silkie chick that is looking very poorly this morning, on closer inspection I've found it infested with what looks to be both lice and mites :( I've just given her a warm bath, blow dry and gentle dusting of pestene, and treated her mum and coop. Is there anything I can do to help the chick perk up again?
Thanks in advance!

Is she the only chick?
The lice/mites may have weakened her. Make sure she is eating and drinking. Mama will show them but she can't force water and feed into them. If she hasn't improved you may need to separate her and provide some vitamin/electrolytes and wet chick starter.
Let us know how she is doing.

Thank you!
She only has one sibling.
She's not really eating, but is drinking a fair amount of the vitamin water I put out. Quite a lot of water actually.
I've put out wet chick starter, and some mashed egg, but it's not really interested. Just mostly standing around looking very tired and lacklustre :(

Thank you!
She only has one sibling.
She's not really eating, but is drinking a fair amount of the vitamin water I put out. Quite a lot of water actually.
I've put out wet chick starter, and some mashed egg, but it's not really interested. Just mostly standing around looking very tired and lacklustre
sad.png

She may be a little dehydrated and stressed from the mites, so hopefully with the drinking she will bounce back.

Is her crop full/empty and her vent clear of poo?

Vent clean :)
Had to check the siblings crop for comparison (they're so tiny!!) But it seems to have a partially full crop so that's somewhat reassuring

Thanks so very much for your advice and support!
I feel like a fretty first time mum
1f600.png

Fingers crossed she'll perk up

She looks much perkier this morning!
I'll be keeping a close eye today.
Thanks for checking in
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom