Help! Found geese eggs after storm-- still alive?

SilkieGirl 1

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 5, 2014
Hello! We have had AWFUL raining and storms 2 days ago and the water flooded everything! I found 5 geese eggs scattered on the shoreline, one was submerged underwater, another partially submerged and the rest was covered in icky debris. The water was chilly that day and I don't know how long they could have been like that. I also candled them and there are already chicks inside. I have them in an incubator now, is there any hope for these guys?
------------
I just noticed that my incubator smells pretty stinky! I'm hoping none of the geese eggs have gone bad! I'm thinking that it might be the pond water? I didn't clean off the eggs. I read that cleaning them off can get rid of good and bad bacteria. But if it is the geese eggs themselves how can I tell which ones gone bad??

* Update *
------
I just candled them again. All 5 eggs have a slight scent to them and I do not see any blood vessels stretching around the egg. The embryo is, like, floating up to the top which every way I move the egg. I see blood vessels but they also float along with the embryo. I don't see any movement. I don't think they may be alive. :barnie What are you all's thoughts? I could keep them in the incubator for a bit longer but something is starting to stink it up and I already have another good egg in with them. My fear is that the bad eggs will explode and send bacteria EVERYWHERE!

Last edited:
How far along did the embryos look? Could you see movement? If they were still alive there is hope they will make it to hatch, but they may hatch a day or more late.
They look a few weeks in; from pictures, I believe they could be around 14 days old. I can see blood vessels and a black blob surrounding parts of the egg. I couldnt see any movement, but they might have been moving slightly and I didn't catch it. :confused: I'm hoping they would warm up and then become lively again.

Well if you saw veins that's a good sign. After an embryo dies it does not take long for the veins to shrink down (a few hours) and the embryo to look like a single black mass when candled. Poultry embryos can survive in surprisingly extreme situations and generally lower than ideal temperatures are less damaging than higher temperatures. I would candle them again in a couple of days and if they make it, I would not be surprised if they do just fine.

Well if you saw veins that's a good sign. After an embryo dies it does not take long for the veins to shrink down (a few hours) and the embryo to look like a single black mass when candled. Poultry embryos can survive in surprisingly extreme situations and generally lower than ideal temperatures are less damaging than higher temperatures. I would candle them again in a couple of days and if they make it, I would not be surprised if they do just fine.
Thank you so much for the encouraging info! I will wait and see what happens :)

I just noticed that my incubator smells pretty stinky! I'm hoping none of the geese eggs have gone bad! I'm thinking that it might be the pond water? I didn't clean off the eggs. I read that cleaning them off can get rid of good and bad bacteria. But if it is the geese eggs themselves how can I tell which ones gone bad??

* Update *
------
I just candled them again. All 5 eggs have a slight scent to them and I do not see any blood vessels stretching around the egg. The embryo is, like, floating up to the top which every way I move the egg. I see blood vessels but they also float along with the embryo. I don't see any movement. I don't think they may be alive. :barnie What are you all's thoughts? I could keep them in the incubator for a bit longer but something is starting to stink it up and I already have another good egg in with them. My fear is that the bad eggs will explode and send bacteria EVERYWHERE!

Back
Top Bottom