Help! Freeze/Thaw Cycles and Flooded Run

Dreammaker

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
MA
Our coop is located on a slope. The run is fairly level, but as a result of its placement, it has been prone to flooding. Particularly, the issue seems to be caused by freeze/thaw cycles exacerbated by rain. The run being covered helps greatly with overhead precipitation but does nothing for the water coming from the ground. We can't move it; it's way too big and this is the flattest, most ideal spot on our property (somewhat hidden from neighboring properties, away from the kids' playset, away from our deck and entertaining areas).

It's a mess and making me crazy. The run is filthy because their feet track mud everywhere and their poop doesn't decompose as easily with the ground being so cold. Flooding + chicken poop + dirt = Horrible, muddy, poop mess 🤢 Aesthetically, it totally kills the look of it too, though I know that's not the #1 goal of chicken-keeping.

Thoughts? Advice? We're thinking of a French drain but I don't know if it'd even work. Horse pellets are another thought: how much for a 6x16 run and how often are they added?

Photos, please?

The only way to fix a problem like this is to fix the drainage issue.

If the problem is water running across the ground into the chicken area -- either as a sheet or in a channel -- you will need to create diversion ditches and/or grass swales to move the water around the run instead of through it.

Coarse wood chips -- the kind you get from a tree-trimming service -- can help with the mud problem, but managing the waterflow is #1.

Photos, please?

The only way to fix a problem like this is to fix the drainage issue.

If the problem is water running across the ground into the chicken area -- either as a sheet or in a channel -- you will need to create diversion ditches and/or grass swales to move the water around the run instead of through it.

Coarse wood chips -- the kind you get from a tree-trimming service -- can help with the mud problem, but managing the waterflow is #1.
Totally agree that our drainage needs improvement. I will try to send pics tomorrow. Something like wood chips and/or pellets would probably be helpful in the interim.

I have the same coop type. Sloped terrain, i managed to level it when it was constructed, but the water flows downward, and floods the open air coop.

I dug a channel at the back, but it got filled in with mud as water flows over time. It used to be sand, but the sand is long gone and covered in a layer of mud.

But what makes the coop actually work, except for the fact i live in a tropical climate, is landscaping bricks and some patches of concrete.

Landscaping bricks help to form diversion flows. I had some buckets of wet concrete left over from other jobs, and dumped it in certain spots. The concrete spots at least give me places to walk when i go through. It also forms a permanent place where the mud doesnt build up, and the water flows around.

I actually prefer the terrain, but unfortunately the cold and ice would make it a completely different experience for you. A french drain at the high side of the coop would be an ideal solution. A row of bricks would also help stop the flow there. Concrete and good drainage underneath might be ideal, but is in no way a quick fix. Proper drainage would be sand, rock, and concrete.

For the ground thaw and freeze, put a layer of natural wood chips or undyed mulch all over the run. Make it at least 3 - 4 inches thick. Think of your run like walking on a thick mulched flower bed. The poop will mix with the mulch as it dries out and you won't even know it's there. You can also add some yard/ garden waste. This was my old run, just after adding garden and plant waste.

20171126_121131.jpg

Ditches and swales to divert the water. French drains are great for static water pressure (like around the foundation of the house, where wet soil tries to drain in every direction - including by trying to push into the home), they are not good for swift moving surface waters.

You can also help mitigate with deep litter - it provides a mostly dry-ish surface hopefully above the elevation of flowing water, and as it composts, it creates a natural hill, helping to divert water around the coop with time.

But mostly? Grab a shovel. Expect that you will have to do this more than once until lndscaping is established to help keep the ditch from filling in, and the swales or berms from cut out or being washed away.

Last edited:
WHERE are you located? This needs to be in your Avatar area so we can help you better.
Pics also help.
Tons of posts on this in the recent past so search- they have a Load of pics too.

Divert the water.....gravel under run about 1/2 foot deep then add a TON of Compost (woodchips, bark all that has been talked about in the past).

But really if you can't STOP the water from entering the area you will not win the battle.

Hi everyone! Sorry for my late response! Thanks so much for your input thus far.

I've attached a few pictures that might help show the issue(s) I'm dealing with. The slope of the yard is subtle, but it's there. Thankfully, the weather has been very dry and temps pretty steady. We put a bit of straw in there just to keep them entertained while the ground is frozen. I know this will not suffice for drainage, which we'll need to tackle in the spring when the ground is workable. We also bought horse bedding pellets for now and will add as necessary. Agree with woodchips being a good option. So many have told me to avoid because of the risk of splinters/bumblefoot, but I think the benefits would outweigh any possible risk. As I took these pictures, I've realized part of our issue is that we didn't beef up the substrate in the run enough. The corners, as you can see, have been excavated by the girls, much more than we expected. I am thinking landscaping bricks or pavers around the perimeter of the run (on the inside) may help too. I am also considering adding a yard or 2 of topsoil and raising the level of the dirt up a few inches in there.

I am not sure how we'd landscape to include a ditch/swale/drainage area, so please feel free to weigh in with thoughts.

Thanks again, guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1130.JPG
    IMG_1130.JPG
    685.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    471.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1122.JPG
    IMG_1122.JPG
    547.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 18
WHERE are you located? This needs to be in your Avatar area so we can help you better.
Pics also help.
Tons of posts on this in the recent past so search- they have a Load of pics too.

Divert the water.....gravel under run about 1/2 foot deep then add a TON of Compost (woodchips, bark all that has been talked about in the past).

But really if you can't STOP the water from entering the area you will not win the battle.
Sorry; I'm in Massachusetts.

Back
Top Bottom