Help, getting guineas in 28 days and dont know a thing about them.

1sttimer

Songster
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
ok so 28 days to go. im going to get 20, day olds. what do they eat??? how long do they need to be penned before they will stay on the property??? how can i tell if they are male and female??? at how old do they start to lay??? please help. much appreciated thanks

They need gamebird starter. They get kept under a heat lamp till 8 weeks. They are more fragile then chicks, they need heat the full 8 weeks. They will lay next summer. When they start to call, the males and females make different noises. There's a sticky at the top of this board with lots of great information.

Congrats!!!!!

Last edited:
ok thanks we already have chickens and everything and my parents payed for everything and i told them that i would do the guineas but these birds are the ones i know least about so thanks for helping

Get a thermometer in the brooder, keep it at least 95F until they are fully feathered or they will die.

There is alot of good info here on raising guineas. Keeping them 95F is the most important. I raise mine of chicken starter right along with my chicks but that is a personal preferance and I have it already.

You will enjoy guineas. They are lots of fun (and noisy) but entertaining

ok thank you i already fell in love with chicks so i should have no trouble with guineas lol

Back
Top Bottom