Help giving oral medication to a duck.

Orca5094

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Sweden
Hi guys! I am getting so frustrated and hoping someone has some tips for me! One of my girls is on liquid oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for an infection. I am injecting the meds down the side of her throat (away from the glottis) and all of it goes down and doesn't come back up. I then massage her throat a little after to make sure it all goes down and stays down. Then I let her go and she runs off to take a bath, gets out, preens for a couple minutes, then starts spitting the meds back up, along with whatever she has just eaten. :( Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have any ideas? If I push the meds in slower, would that help? That's my plan for next time, but I don't understand why it seems to go perfect and then a few minutes later she spits it all back up. :(

Feed her first then medicate. Wait about an hr.

Oh, could that be the issue? I have been giving the meds in the morning (before she eats), then when I get home from work. She has access to food all day, but hasn't been eating much of that since the infection. She eats snails and worms and some corn and wheat though that I give as "treats". Maybe she needs to get those first? Hadn't thought of that.

Well if prescribed by a Vet contact them. I'm thinking it's not agreeing with the Duck..

Yes, they were prescribed by a vet. I called them yesterday and they just said if I can't get her to take the meds I'd have to bring her in twice a week to get them. We live 1.5 hours away and I don't have a car. Had to get a ride for the original vet visit. But I'll try to call now and see if there is a different medication they can give me. Thanks!

Edit: And of course they are already closed. >.< I will try again in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom