Help goat with mastitis!

mckenzie

Songster
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Douglas, GA
My goats udder was swollen two days ago just on the right side so i milked her and blood was in the milk. Well it was too late in the day to go and get medicine for her. So the next day after school i went and got her some medicine that is used for mastitis in cows. Yesterday she lost her mucous plug so I knew she was going to kid soon. Today i got up and went to check on her and she had already had them but they were dead. She had them two weeks early and they weren't fully developed. Then she couldnt pass the after birth. I waited 6 hours and she hadnt passed it yet so i called two vets one wouldnt answer and the other one was out of town. She told me to just keep on milking her out and treat her with the today medicine. She also told me to get la 200 and give her 6cc in the morning and evening. So i called the other vet again and he told me to bring her to his house. I loaded her up and when I got there he pulled the after birth out and was done in like 15 minutes. I asked him about the mastitis in her udder and he said i was doing all that i could do but, that side of the udder could burst and drain. He said it was already sweating and cold to the touch so it was probably going to do it anyway. Well is there anything that i could do so this wont happen? This is my goat that i milk so if it happens or it doesnt get better it could ruin her.

I tied it but i haven't seen any improvement. It is still draining/sweating. But she acted like she felt better today. Do i need to continue the treatments with today till i run out or do i need to stop? I have 3 tubes of it left. That would lat a day and a half.

She is acting normal now but she isnt eating much and that side of the udder is draining.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom