Help, Gosling not gaining weight

He uses it a bit when swiming in shallow water and to help with balancing at times but he usually just hops on the one leg and I don't think he can put weight on it. They are the same age, they hatched out the same day from the same nest though they have very different colouring :) I will try gettinf some brewers yeast, I don't want them developing any problems. I'm just worried that one is bigger than the other. Thanks for the advice, I've tried a few stock food places, my mum went to four today and none have water fowel starter and two argued with her over chick starter being all you need.

He uses it a bit when swiming in shallow water and to help with balancing at times but he usually just hops on the one leg and I don't think he can put weight on it. They are the same age, they hatched out the same day from the same nest though they have very different colouring
smile.png
I will try gettinf some brewers yeast, I don't want them developing any problems. I'm just worried that one is bigger than the other. Thanks for the advice, I've tried a few stock food places, my mum went to four today and none have water fowel starter and two argued with her over chick starter being all you need.
It's fine if that is all you can get just make sure to get the Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast for them it is very important for water fowl development. You may begin to notice a difference once this lil one gets on some niacin in the form of Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast, it can be ordered on line or bought at most Natural food stores. both should have it. Also some poultry vitamins added to their water may help get this lil one some extra nutrients too, Some babies just don't utilize what is in their feed and need extra of all vitamins. .

Thanks so much
smile.png
I will give them the yeast and vitamins and see how they go
Keep us updated... these little ones really are amazing how fast they can recover if given a chance.
smile.png

There is always the chance other things can be going on too since he hatched with a leg problem, but I think giving him every chance there is is important too. Hopefully the BY and vits will do the trick.
fl.gif

Yea, I was hoping to report back with better news. The little one (Remington), has unfortunately broken his leg. On the bright side it was the wonkey one anyway so it hasnt made much of a difference to his life style but he is on pain killers and has a little splint to keep it in place. I'm not sure he's grown much but his face is becoming more elongated and it looks like he might have proper feathers near his tail soon. I havn't put the vitamins in the water yet so hopefully that will make a difference but when the vet looked at him for the leg he suggested the size issue may be related to the birth defect that made his leg wonkey in the first place. He is not an avian expert though so I can't be sure. We got an x-ray before his leg was splintered so we know the defect hasn't affected the bones though I have yet to find out how he managed to break his leg.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG] also, there has been a storm the passed few days so I havn't been able to take them out for grass : (

Thanks for updating so sorry he has broken his leg. Please get him and the other one on the extra Niacin either in niacin pills or brewers yeast it can make a big difference in their health. I hope he heals quickly.

https://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/niacin-deficiency-in-young-waterfowl/

Last edited:
Thanks for updating so sorry he has broken his leg. Please get him and the other one on the extra Niacin either in niacin pills or brewers yeast it can make a big difference in their health.  I hope he heals quickly. 

[URL=https://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/niacin-deficiency-in-young-waterfowl/]https://www.purelypoultry.com/blog/niacin-deficiency-in-young-waterfowl/[/URL]
[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much :) I have been giving them the brewers yeast for the past few days. So hopefully that will help things. I think the little guy should be fine, he's a strong little one though he seems determined not to stop moving despite everything.

Thanks so much
smile.png
I have been giving them the brewers yeast for the past few days. So hopefully that will help things. I think the little guy should be fine, he's a strong little one though he seems determined not to stop moving despite everything.
Glad to hear it. Thanks for updating and hope to hear more good news soon.

Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom