Help, guinea has a baseball like swelling tumor at the rear end

Surprisingly she is not showing any discomfort, she still lays, eats, and do daily strolls around the property with her "boyfriend". However, I do see that it has gotten bigger and I am afraid pretty soon I will have to make an unpleasant decision.
You may want to try to gather her up and get a better look to make sure there's no maggots on the growth.

I agree, perhaps a hernia, but if poop is sticking to the bulge, then there's a potential for flies to be attracted and lay eggs which can exacerbate the problem.

I am sad to report that this Saturday my lavender girl was killed by a red shoulder hawk :-(. She was actually seating on the nest laying an egg when it happened, I noticed that hawk too late to save her :-(. Strangely, her male companion who has always been lurking next to the nest while she was laying did not protect her. I was under the impression that guinea males just like roosters protect their mates.

Last edited:
I am sad to report that this Saturday my lavender girl was killed by a red shoulder hawk :-(. She was actually seating on the nest laying an egg when it happened, I noticed that hawk too late to save her :-(. Strangely, her mail companion who has always been lurking next to the nest while she was laying did not protect her. I was under the impression that guinea males just like roosters protect their mates.
No! I am so sorry! I am horrified at reading this. Sending hugs! 😭:hugs💚

I am sad to report that this Saturday my lavender girl was killed by a red shoulder hawk :-(. She was actually seating on the nest laying an egg when it happened, I noticed that hawk too late to save her :-(. Strangely, her mail companion who has always been lurking next to the nest while she was laying did not protect her. I was under the impression that guinea males just like roosters protect their mates.
I'm sorry about Lavendar Girl.
Hawks can be very quick.

A male may alert to danger but generally they are not going to fight a Hawk. Roosters don't very often either.

Surprisingly she is not showing any discomfort, she still lays, eats, and do daily strolls around the property with her "boyfriend". However, I do see that it has gotten bigger and I am afraid pretty soon I will have to make an unpleasant decision.
What happened to your Guinea hen? Is she still alive? Did you find out what the lump is/was?

I'm sorry about Lavendar Girl.
Hawks can be very quick.

A male may alert to danger but generally they are not going to fight a Hawk. Roosters don't very often either.
So sorry you lost your Guinea hen to a hawk. We have red tails around here and they are incredibly fast and agile. We also have buzzards but they are like B52s compared to stealth bomber hawks! I worry about our keets bc momma and daddy take them up on the roof every day and they are like little targets in a shooting gallery - just lined up between mom and dad. Dad does a great job helping mom protect and teach the keets - they are an amazing family - but he wouldn’t and couldn’t take on a hawk; not too sure he could provide much protection against a buzzard if the keets are out in the open or sitting on the rooftop.

Back
Top Bottom