Help! guinea Hen gone Rogue!

Artemis farms

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2017
maine
This is the fifth time my guinea hen has flown away from the coop!! Only this time it sounds like she's miles and miles away!! I Hear her it sounds like she is way far away. That's it! I've had it I'm going to bring the guinea to the vet and have them do a procedure to make them not fly anymore! People do it to ducks all the time! when she comes back I'm going to do it to her and keep her in a cage until then!!! Scared she's going to get cold or eaten!! I Only had her and her sisters for a week! Will she come beck? Any advice?!?!? Thx!

Guineas aren't as easy to move to new locations as chickens. They need to be confined to their new home for at least a month to 6 weeks. That's how they learn where they are SUPPOSED to be. Your hen that is flying away is still trying to find her old home.
I would NOT recommend clipping her wings. Being able to fly is their only protection from predators. If she comes back she should be confined in a coop with a covered run with her sisters or you may end up losing all of them.

Guineas aren't as easy to move to new locations as chickens. They need to be confined to their new home for at least a month to 6 weeks. That's how they learn where they are SUPPOSED to be. Your hen that is flying away is still trying to find her old home.
I would NOT recommend clipping her wings. Being able to fly is their only protection from predators. If she comes back she should be confined in a coop with a covered run with her sisters or you may end up losing all of them.
She came home the next day. And she could never find her old owners because their hours away. And They're all fine now

I have 7, 5 girls 2 boys
If possible, please add some more males. Guineas like to pair up and do much better when the sexes are more equal in numbers. One reason that your hen leaves is that she may be seeking her own mate.

As @red horse ranch pointed out you need to give the guineas time to adjust to their new home. The older the guineas are when you get them, the longer the confinement period needs to be to acclimate them to their new home. With adult guineas it can easily take 6 to 8 weeks for them to adjust. When you do release them, do not release them all at once.

I also don't believe in pinioning guineas although some circumstances may require it. Pinioning is typically done on day old keets.

Good luck.

If possible, please add some more males. Guineas like to pair up and do much better when the sexes are more equal in numbers. One reason that your hen leaves is that she may be seeking her own mate.

As @red horse ranch pointed out you need to give the guineas time to adjust to their new home. The older the guineas are when you get them, the longer the confinement period needs to be to acclimate them to their new home. With adult guineas it can easily take 6 to 8 weeks for them to adjust. When you do release them, do not release them all at once.

I also don't believe in pinioning guineas although some circumstances may require it. Pinioning is typically done on day old keets.

Good luck.

They are 10 months old and have not left since that day

Back
Top Bottom