Help! Help! Chicken gasping!

aldren90

Songster
9 Years
Nov 11, 2010
Florida
Hey guys, I recently purchased a light Sussex pullet. I noticed yesterday she was gasping and wheezing. I have her isolated from the others in a totally different location. She is on duramycin ( in water ), probiotic food powder, ACV in her water, and also vetrx on her nose, down her throat and under her wings. I looked for injectable Tylan and my TSC didn't have it. She is acting TOTALLY normal minus the gasping and wheezing. She is eating and I'm pretty sure she is drinking. I noticed that she has HORRIBLE. Breath and it smells like the sour crop fluid, but I know it's not sour crop. I also looked down her throat and she has a large white, almost pus like build up in her throat. It's very odd. I've never encountered anything like this before. I have pics, but they are not that clear and you can barely see it. Any help would be wonderful!

Last edited:

If you can see he white funky stuff, down there, that is the stuff I can feel and what I belive the problem is.

Last edited:
I've only had this bird a week. She was fine up until yesterday. I honestly, have no clue what it could be. She has really no signs of either of those. Just that weird gunk. Seems more like the canker thing.

Check her crop in the morning before she eats and drink to make sure its flat. Rule out sour crop. She will need to be dewormed with safeguard and treated for mites.

How old is she?

If she develops swollen eyes with thick secretions from the nose and eyes, I would suspect coryza. If you have other birds who are healthy, you really need to use good biosecurity measures not to spread whatever she has. Culling her might be considered.

She's 3-4 months. Definitely NOT sour crop as I've had a lot of experience with the horror of that. She doesn't have mites either. I know it's not gape worm but it could be another type of worm. Nothing is swollen, and nothing is being secreted. I have my birds a few miles away from my house and this chicken is at my house, so no birds near her.

Back
Top Bottom