Help! How can I control compost smell?

Wow! Well, the good news is that once we get the smell down, that should be some great compost! In addition to more carbon, I agree that more turning to get more oxygen in isn't a bad thing at all.

Wow! Well, the good news is that once we get the smell down, that should be some great compost! In addition to more carbon, I agree that more turning to get more oxygen in isn't a bad thing at all.
I added more pine shavings turned the whole thing this morning smell decreased to 90% and by noon smell started to come back 😔 now it stinks like urine again

I added more pine shavings turned the whole thing this morning smell decreased to 90% and by noon smell started to come back 😔 now it stinks like urine again
I'd go a little crazy with the carbon, and like double the size of the pile by adding leaves, wood chips, shavings, hay, paper, or whatever you've got. You may want to pull some of the material out of the pile into a wheelbarrow to help with the mixing.

It might also make sense to break out the charcoal trick.

Sorry it's giving you so much trouble. I assume there's a LOT of manure or or other nutrient-rich stuff in there?

Urine smell is too much nitrogen and or too much vitamin B - too much nitrogen is usually characterized by an ammonia smell rather than a urine smell.

Keep adding brown (carbon) and if required, toss to combine. You can NOT go wrong with excess carbon, and yeah, the ratio of chicken droppings to carbon is pretty extreme towards the brown. You aren't going for 50/50 like a hot compost system.

[Edit: Ok, you can, but its hard to do.]

Last edited:
I grab a few handfuls of pine shavings when it smells and cover the top. I live in Hawaii, it's never cold. I also get nats on composting fruits and vegetables. The pine shavings also stop nats.

Back
Top Bottom