Help! *HOW* do you splint a chicken's leg above the elbow?

Gen9

Songster
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
NC
My leghorn "Isa the Escape Artist" got out of the run, our 6 y/o rescue dog we just adoped 5 days ago grabbed it, but then let it go. She was limping around for a couple days & was able to stand & perch but today she can't move her leg at all. I couldn't find where the break is so I'm assuming that it is dislocated?

Anyway, I separated her from the flock & since she's getting worse I decided to bring her inside the house & moved her to a smaller dog kennel for limited activity. Her appetite is still good, she won't eat the all flock pellets, I gave her scrambled eggs 2 days in a row & decided to give her dog food soaked in warm water. Appetite is still good, I haven't seen her drink from her water, so I just plan on giving her wet food so she stays hydrated. She is the most friendly chicken so I don't want to put her down yet unless it looks like she's suffering but right now she is content by herself.

There might be a thread on how to make aspirin water, vitamin/electrolyte water so I'm going to look those up. If you all have any other suggestions please let me know. As for now I haven't been able to find anything on how to splint a leg above the elbow which is what I really want to try. Hubs already said we aren't paying a vet bill for a "darn chicken" :-/
We have enough going on with our rescue dog (skin problems, age) among other bills...

Thank you so much
smile.png

After reading through this there's a lot of great info, I bookmarked it for future reference *just in case... thanks again for this valuable resource!

I'm thinking the bird hammock and the cushioned braces will help her leg heal. I just gave her a bath & trimmed the feathers on her butt & nails - shocked that she was patient enough to go all through that. I got a room heater facing her cage, everytime she sees someone walk by she coos quietly. I took the water dish out to prevent drowning. She looks more wide-eyed now so I hope the warm water was somewhat therapeutic...

I noticed that all her feathers fell out surrounding where the puncture wound is (& the wound doesn't look deep at all, no puss or blood) the bald spot looks about the size of a silver dollar.

Thank you for that link!! It describes a problem on a chick's toe that has happened to my chick's thigh, and how to help it.

Back
Top Bottom