HELP! Hurt Duckling!!

featheredfashions

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Florida
As most of you know...we just adopted 2 pekin ducklings.

The runt....Smalls....hurt her leg tonight. At first she was limping on it...and now it's just gotten worse. She won't even stand on it. I do not believe it's broken and have put her in the bath for some water therapy. She does move it...but when tries to stand...just sits back down again.

Any ideas?
sad.png

Just starter. She's a runt, has always been a little "unstable" on her feet. Then because of the fire ants where she used to live...she has the holes in her webbing. ::Sigh:: I just hope she's going to be ok.

She needs niacin if you aren't already giving it to her. Could be found in brewers yeast. Also I would get her started on a poultry vitamin. Water therapy is great, also if you could let her leg soak in warm water with Epsom salt(just don't let her drink it) that can really help. My little girl hurt her leg and the Epsom salt worked wonders. Try and keep her calm and quiet. Separate her and give her limited space to move for a while. I know that sounds bad, but you can't have her hurting it again. Make sure she is eating and drinking. If she stops doing that or can't swim I would seriously get her to a bet ASAP. Also I know your babies are young, so be careful while in the water, make sure she doesn't get too cold and too wet. That could lead to many other problems

Ok everyone.....here's the update....it's the craziest thing....

Smalls is our pet ducking, only 3 weeks old. She had a fall early last night but seemed to be doing ok. When I went in to check on her before bed...She was completely limp and wouldn't even hold her neck up. Her breathing was very deep and slowing. Brian picked her up and held her for at least an hour like this. We tried dropping a little water into her bill with a small syringe. She was laying on her side in his hand, wouldn't hold her head up, wouldn't drink, wouldn't open her bill, wouldn't even make a peeping sound. He just stayed there with her, petting her little feathered head and back. We were sure she was dying and didn't want to leave her alone. Brian felt it was important to be with her and comfort her until that happened. It was about 4am...and...all of a sudden he moved slightly and she jumped up went for the syringe for water. He squirted the water in the palm of his hand and she started drinking on her own...then she stood up and ran around the bed....like nothing ever happened. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen!! A TRUE miracle! You've never seen two happier people!! This morning she is peeping and even jumping up at the sight of us! How crazy!?!

Back
Top Bottom