HELP!! I am in over my head I think!!

some things from our coop building experience...
the roost is more important that we gave it credit for.  that is by far where they spend the majority of their time (in our case anyway).  so, get the height right & give it space so your chickens have enough room in front of them and behind them that they're comfortable. 
i've discovered chickens have their own "pecking order" (imagine that).  so two roosts allow those who are on the low end of the totem pole to move out of the way when they find themselves up against their nemesis when it's time to bed down.  my roosts are parallel and about 14" apart.  they jump back and forth between the roosts until everyone is in the spot they want to be for the night.  then peace decends.

i admire you for taking on the construction yourself.  hope you really enjoy the whole chicken thing.  i know i do.

I agree with a good focus on your roost....a poop board is a must

I am curious, thinking ahead to getting the chickens, how young or old can I go, or should I go and still be able to have relatively tame people friendly birds?

We raised ours from chicks and there's nothing like it! Though I will say that our first hens that we got at laying age were quite friendly as well. I think it all depends on how much time you spend with them ....they will start to trust you and know you are the one with the food/treats and become your best friend.
Then, I think the breed has a lot to do with it as well. I've only ever owned RI Red/ Buff mix and now Plymouth Rocks and White Rocks.
One additional thing I wanted to mention just because we ended up changing it AFTER the fact. The door on the back....it opens down in the plans. We switched it to open out to the side as it was very hard to get close to clean with it opening down. Just sharing some ideas.

Ok, so this farm store not too far from me got a shipment of chicks in today so....of course I went and got some! I got 3 aracaunas and 3 barred rocks. So cute and sweet!

I'll post pics as soon as I can...and the coop is coming along nicely. Working slow today because it is so dang hot out here in the sun.

Buying chicks from the feed store I bet they ordered from a hatchery (which is normal) and in which case you have 3 Easter Eggers that were mislabeled by the hatchery (again the norm unfortunately). EE's are great chickens and will potentially give you green, olive, brown or blue eggs. They make for a fun addition to a flock since you never know until they lay what color you will get.

Back
Top Bottom