Help! I am new at this. Day 16 and buttons not hatching, but one is breech and pipped.

kellyanns_quail

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2024
Humidity 65, temp 99.5. Day 16 (not counting first day). One pipped last night and has had it's beak out for 24 hours with no progress. No zipping. Should I assist? Also, I can see the outer membrane is bright white and looks to be pretty dry I cannot see the inner membrane.

Whatever day you put them in the incubator count as 0...Humidity good....I keep temp @ 100 the whole incubation period. From my experience buttons are a challenge....If it has been over 24 hours I would assist, BUT if any other eggs are hatching whenever you open that top you may Keep the others from hatching. Sometimes it will shrink wrap the hatchlings and dry them out. Im no expert though like I said buttons are a challenge. What their progress now???

If your chick has pipped at the wrong end, it most likely needs assistance.

Keep in mind that most chicks that have trouble hatching have trouble hatching because there is something wrong with the chick. IF you choose to assist, it may not make it or you may have to cull.

As for the rest, if it's only day 16, there's nothing to worry about. Hatch is usually on day 17.

Whatever day you put them in the incubator count as 0...Humidity good....I keep temp @ 100 the whole incubation period. From my experience buttons are a challenge....If it has been over 24 hours I would assist, BUT if any other eggs are hatching whenever you open that top you may Keep the others from hatching. Sometimes it will shrink wrap the hatchlings and dry them out. Im no expert though like I said buttons are a challenge. What their progress now???
Oh my word this has been a challenge. My incubator went bonkers fluctuating wildly between 60-89% humidity. I was trying everything to fix it. Magically, two pipped and zipped in under 5 mins and ran around the bator. Two peeped in the wrong side of the egg (the small end). I had to completely peel their shell, and both membranes off after 24 hours. They looked nearly dead and restless but have stared to fluff out and run around. Another pipped and just stopped for over 24 hours with no zip. I just manually assisted it and it’s in the bator not looking so good. I still have 9 eggs in the bator. I hear chirping in the eggs. I’m not sure what to do. Should I assist because of the bator issue. It did finally stabilize but I had to open it like 25 times to get it working right.

Attachments

• D4CCED5B-BB5D-42CD-A200-F230EB5D2B43.jpeg
    D4CCED5B-BB5D-42CD-A200-F230EB5D2B43.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 1851D4A0-EB2A-426A-B72A-1DBA5996BE3F.jpeg
    1851D4A0-EB2A-426A-B72A-1DBA5996BE3F.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 2
  • D6189AEE-38B4-43F0-843B-6D87D07057E1.jpeg
    D6189AEE-38B4-43F0-843B-6D87D07057E1.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 2
I answered this below but I’m not really sure how this thread works so I’ll also answer here too… Oh my word this has been a challenge. My incubator went bonkers fluctuating wildly between 60-89%. I was trying everything to fix it. Magically, two pipped and zipped in under 5 mins and ran around the bator. Two peeped in the wrong side of the egg (the small end). I had to completely peel their shell, and both membranes off after 24 hours. They looked nearly dead and restless but have stared to fluff out and run around. Another pipped and just stopped for over 24 hours with no zip. I just manually assisted it and it’s in the bator not looking so good. I still have 9 eggs in the bator. I hear chirping in the eggs. I’m not sure what to do. Should I assist because of the bator issue. It did finally stabilize but I had to open it like 25 times to get it working right.

Back
Top Bottom