Help!!!!! I don't understand!?!!???

GUESS WHAT?????
Shortly after I began this thread, at other's recommendations, I installed lighting on a timer in the coop. I have it come on at 5pm when it starts getting dark and go off by 11pm. Then on again at 3am and off at 6am when the sun comes up. I went out yesterday and not one but TWO eggs!!!! I have never been so excited about eggs in all my life! I posted on facebook, called all my friends and took the kids out to stake and shake for a celebration dinner. Thank you ALL for all your support and encouragement!!!!

Now I have some questions..... They are much lighter in color then I thought that they would be (especially since I thought the first eggs were the darkest). Is this normal coloring?

Then, today, I went out and looked for eggs again. I found TWO eggs again! Yesterday, there was one egg in nesting box 1 and one egg in nesting box 2. This time they were both in the same nesting box... nesting box number 1. Soooooo my questions are.... is it normal for two pullets to lay the first egg and then lay the second egg the very next day? or do you think that there are 4 laying pullets? Also, do they tend to lay in the same nesting box every time that particular chicken lays? For example... the chicken that laid in nesting box two yesterday... can I assume she did not lay one today? So can I assume that I have at least three laying pullets now? Possibly 4?

Congrats!!!
woot.gif

That color looks pretty normal to me. Mine got lighter when the hens were older, like after 3 years old.

Pullets can be erratic, could be 2, 3, or 4 laying.

Mine vary where they lay. I don't think you can for certain tell much by where they lay. They will share nests one day then not the next day.

You can encourage them to lay in the same nest, by using fake eggs.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom