Help!!!! I gave my chickens mites!!!!

Traucins

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Indiana
We have figured out theat they came from the straw I put in with them a couple of days ago. They are gray/white about a 1/4 the size of a piece of rice. Or red... I assume that is once they bite something. I noticed them all over me (well I say all over but they were on my arms and a couple liked my phone) a few hours after I held one of my Buff Orpingtons.

My husband found them to be crawling all over our eggs last night when he got eggs. Today he put seven 5 dust in the nesting boxes and this evening no mites on the eggs. He has to do a 12 hour shift tonight and the next 3 so we won't get the chance to treat them all individually till Monday morning. I am dying inside.

He did put seven dust in the coop floor and DE and wood ash is always in there but he put more. Plus he put seven dust in their dusting area and let them run the yard to dust too. He grabbed up the Rooster and gave him a thourough going over TWICE and said he didn't see anything on him, but he dusted him with seven dust down to the skin anyway. They were dusting themselves and I didn't really see any of them looking in severe discomfort. One had the occasional itch but not as much as me...

Last night I itched all night and couldn't sleep and felt something biting me all night (in reality I did only find like 4 red marks on my skin and I have only killed 4 or 5 of them ON me). I am TERRIFIED of bugs. I put frontline on all 3 of my dogs today. I washed all my bedclothes in scalding hot water and dried them on the hottest setting my dryer has. I put seven dust on my couches and let it sit probably 2 or 3 hours while I did all this.

Please HELP!!!

Here is what works with northern fowl mites (NFM) (they are not straw mites though):
Dust all chickens with poultry dust in an old sock, under wings and vent area, everywhere but the face. Dust coop (but toss bedding and nestbox material first). Repeat at 7 days for mites and 14 days for lice (I have not dealt with lice). You can also use permethrin spray (dilute per label) on the birds when weather permits, and in the coop.

If there is a reservoir left (such as a nestbox) for the mites they will come right back, if they are the NFM.

Vaccuum your home and wash your sheets repeatedly. Take showers and baths (baths are better and dunk your head too). I sprinkled borax powder all over the carpets for the NFM but if you have pets I wouldn't do that as they may eat it (or small children)- it is toxic. I personally wouldn't use seven dust indoors.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/mites.htm
info on straw mites

The seven dust said safe on pets. We used the frontline on them. While I used the dust I kept them in a crate in another room. They were trying to smell it.

I sprinkled the Diatomaceous Earth all over my carpet. Has been there several hours. Was planning to leave it there for a week but just walking on it stirs it up so much and my dogs are breathing it. I may vacuum it up tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom