Help! I have a broody hen....

tifaus

Chirping
Jun 28, 2017
Bunnell, Fl
Hello all!
It's me.. again. Lol. I have a two year old bantam hen that has been sitting on 7 eggs that are due to hatch on October 2nd. However, where she decided to be a broody momma is less than ideal for her new babes. We moved her into our isolation coop this morning and she has not went back and sat on them since we moved her. We have moved her to this coop before when she was close to hatching and have not had any issues but now she wants nothing to do with the eggs. How long can eggs go without being under her? I live in Florida so it's not cold but I'm worried. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Hello all!
It's me.. again. Lol. I have a two year old bantam hen that has been sitting on 7 eggs that are due to hatch on October 2nd. However, where she decided to be a broody momma is less than ideal for her new babes. We moved her into our isolation coop this morning and she has not went back and sat on them since we moved her. We have moved her to this coop before when she was close to hatching and have not had any issues but now she wants nothing to do with the eggs. How long can eggs go without being under her? I live in Florida so it's not cold but I'm worried. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Put the eggs back where she made her nest initially to see if she'll return.
Hopefully she does. Then I would wait for the first egg to hatch, then move her. I've found that generally once there's a chick, they don't care where their new nest/home is. If she won't come back, I suggest an incubator.

Put the eggs back where she made her nest initially to see if she'll return.
Hopefully she does. Then I would wait for the first egg to hatch, then move her. I've found that generally once there's a chick, they don't care where their new nest/home is. If she won't come back, I suggest an incubator.

Thank you so much! She decided to be broody in an area that is high off the ground and I'm petrified that one of the babies is going to fall or be attacked by another one of our hens. We had this problem with the last egg and the culprit caused the baby to hatch way to early and we lost it.

Thank you so much! She decided to be broody in an area that is high off the ground and I'm petrified that one of the babies is going to fall or be attacked by another one of our hens. We had this problem with the last egg and the culprit caused the baby to hatch way to early and we lost it.

Is there any way to enclose the area she's chosen for a nest? And did she go back to that nest again? Didn't realize it was in a high spot. Something that will keep the other hens out and her (and her littles) in … hardware cloth wire frame … maybe even just cardboard.

Back
Top Bottom