Help! I have a Shipping Crate and NO IDEAS!!

Here's a picture of the ideas I had. I gotta figure out if I want 1 or 2 nest boxes though.. I am thinking with a trio of Silkies I will probably need two!

So have to revise it some.

That dark line through the middle is supposed to be a roost bar on the inside, lol. and I was thinking of putting drop windows on the sides for ventelation.

Looks great! But I agree with PP-- you only need ONE nest box. Just make that box roomy for them, and it'll be fine. :) Hens don't all lay at the same time and they like to lay where others are laying. So if there's an egg in there, they will want to lay there. Mine all like to lay in the same box. I have 5 boxes, 12 hens and only ONE box is really used. Sometimes two.. I like the drawing you've come up with. :)

Here's a picture of the ideas I had. I gotta figure out if I want 1 or 2 nest boxes though.. I am thinking with a trio of Silkies I will probably need two!

We build 8 nesting boxes in my coop of 12 hens and they only lay in two or sometimes 3 of them!

Last edited:
I started building a small tractor to keep my babies safe from the dog so i have yet to start on this one. I just finished the roof on the tractor but still have to close in the end of the run(A-Frame). It's taken FOREVER because of the crappy weather we've been having.

I will post when I start construction on the shipping crate. My Silkie chicks are hatching now but There's only 4 eggs left, I REALLY hope I get a couple girls!!

Back
Top Bottom