Help I have a skunk

sharaw20

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2016
So the other day I went out to feed my chickens and thought I would clean my shed up. Which has all my straw and chicken feed. Well there was a skunk living in my shed. I got it out but I know it's hanging around. I haven't let my chickens out of their run as I am afraid of the skunk. My husband said they will eat the eggs. But how do I get rid of the skunk. I don't have a live trap. It is also digging up my lawn.

Last edited:
I don't think a love trap will work, but a live trap might!
gig.gif
Just kidding - skunks can be a real (and real stinky) problem! Are you city or rural? Can you shoot it? I have never live trapped one for fear of getting sprayed. I don't know that it will be much of a threat to your adult birds but they are egg stealers. Do you have neighbors that might have a trap you can borrow in exchange for some eggs?

I would like to trap and relocate. I just hate killing animals that I'm not doing anything with. But if that's my only option I will have my husband deal with it lol. We are in the country. We did have a trap but gave it back to my fil who has now lent it out to someone else lol.

There may be several things going on with a skunk this time of year. They do hibernate, so it may be looking at your straw as it's winter resting place, and also hanging around lapping up the feed. A twofer in their world. Do you have japanese beetles? If so, they leave grubs in lawn areas and skunks will dig them up and tear things up in the process.

On the plus side, they are excellent mousers, or so I've heard. But hanging around also runs the risk of you bumping into one.

They do eat eggs and some will say they will also kill chickens.

Skunks present you with a "dead or alive" option. Either decide to live and let live (that assumes it is causing you no harm and is leaving your birds alone), or snuff em. If the latter, a live trap is one option, as is bushwhacking them out in the open with a loaded weapon. Either way, the skunk dies. The live trap only traps and contains them until you come along and turn out the lights.

I don't know if I have those bugs or not. We are in Ontario. Between Toronto and Ottawa. I have a friend bringing over a trap so I am hoping to catch it tonight. Should I put a can of tuna or sardines or some eggs in the trap. What will it make it come into a trap. I have trapped raccoons before but they are garbage bins so they will eat anything lol

The skunk I had to deal with was addicted to dry cat food. Or if you think it has been eating the chicken feed, you could try that as well.

I don't think he was eating the chicken feed as it was in a large garbage bin. Once it would be in there it would have been hard for him to get out. But what else might work. I have a bunch or starting to go bad veggies. Would that work

I don't know if I have those bugs or not. We are in Ontario. Between Toronto and Ottawa. I have a friend bringing over a trap so I am hoping to catch it tonight. Should I put a can of tuna or sardines or some eggs in the trap. What will it make it come into a trap. I have trapped raccoons before but they are garbage bins so they will eat anything lol
If it is digging up your yard there are grubs there.

Do NOT relocate it...... if you're going to trap it, kill it....otherwise leave it alone.

It's really better to kill them...for many reasons.

-You've just introduced trap savvy pest/predator animals into someone else's 'backyard'.

-The spread of disease is a very real aspect and why it's illegal in many states to relocate trapped predator animals.

-Releasing an animal into another animals territory could well sign it's death warrant anyway, in case you were thinking of 'saving' the 'poor little creature'. Probably a worse death than a quick shot to the head or even a 'trashcan drowning'.

Since we've displaced their habitat (and more importantly their natural predators habitat) and fed them to overpopulation with our garbage...IMO, it is our duty to become the 'apex predator' and kill them when they become a problem to the extent that we need to trap them.

Last edited:
Don't trap if you won't shot; relocation is the worst option, both for the skunk, and it's environment. Aart is so right! If your skunk can no longer get into your shed, and the food is all safe, there's no longer a problem. Skunks will eat eggs and chickens if they can, and carry rabies in many areas of North America. Mary

Back
Top Bottom