Help- I have separated a rooster

SBlanton

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
I have a flock and ended up with 2 roosters. One of the Rooster all of my hens love - mating is not an issue or anything else. The younger rooster tries to mate with the other hens and is unsuccessful. He attempts by grabbing on the the back of the head while then hens try to run away. Half of my hens now have bald spots behind there combs due to guy.
We have decided to go ahead and cull him in a couple of weeks time when he is a bit bigger.
We have pulled him for his safety and the hens safety and he is currently freaking in his separate pen.
Will he calm down or is this situation needs to be handled differently. Thanks!

Just did so this afternoon- he is just making such a racket my husband wanted me to check and make sure we are good to do it this way.

We have decided to go ahead and cull him in a couple of weeks time when he is a bit bigger.
How old is he?

By the time a cockerel is mating with hens, his growth has slowed down quite a bit.
So it might not be worth waiting, because he probably won't grow enough more to matter.

I would probably just butcher him now, unless you have some other reason to wait.

How old is he?

By the time a cockerel is mating with hens, his growth has slowed down quite a bit.
So it might not be worth waiting, because he probably won't grow enough more to matter.

I would probably just butcher him now, unless you have some other reason to wait.

He is about 5 mo old- the hens always made sure he was last to eat as well. So I was hoping hun being by himself eating he would get a bit bigger? This is also my first flock so I am not sure.

He is about 5 mo old- the hens always made sure he was last to eat as well. So I was hoping hun being by himself eating he would get a bit bigger? This is also my first flock so I am not sure.
If he was not getting enough to eat, then yes he might gain a little more weight when he doesn't have to compete for food.

But by age 5 months, he is not going to get much bigger in any reasonable amount of time.

He could continue to gain weight slowly for the next 6 months or more if you were to keep him that long, but he won't do it fast enough to make up for the feed he eats along the way.

If you want to know for sure, you could weigh him every week or so to see how much he gains. That would be more accurate than any guesses about what he might or might not do.

Of course, many people actually choose a butchering date according to what is convenient for their schedule. Sometimes that matters more than the exact weight of the chicken.

He won't eat much or gain quickly if he's stressed about being separated, and there's no good way to eliminate his stress. Even with him next to the other chickens, the presence of a barrier itself will frustrate him, it will be like a tease - they are right there, but out of reach. Stressed chickens don't eat well. Cull him now, waiting is not worth it.

If he was not getting enough to eat, then yes he might gain a little more weight when he doesn't have to compete for food.

But by age 5 months, he is not going to get much bigger in any reasonable amount of time.

He could continue to gain weight slowly for the next 6 months or more if you were to keep him that long, but he won't do it fast enough to make up for the feed he eats along the way.

If you want to know for sure, you could weigh him every week or so to see how much he gains. That would be more accurate than any guesses about what he might or might not do.

Of course, many people actually choose a butchering date according to what is convenient for their schedule. Sometimes that matters more than the exact weight of the chicken.

Thanks so much for the info!

Back
Top Bottom