help I have two cockerels can I keep both?

chickenlover8969

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 2, 2023
I have two cockerels in that case. They have been together since chicks. one is the light Brahma the other is either a welsummer or a mixed breed with welsummer in it. the Brahma is about 4 weeks older can they live together or will I have to get rid of one. here is the information on the living space
The run is about 225 square feet and the hen house is 86 square feet and 8.5 feet tall with and we have 8 laying hens and 4 laying/meat hens.

Just from my own experience, it can happen... but! I had to keep the roos in a Rooster's roost. Meaning their own coop with no hens to fight over. They stay in it together until I find new homes for them, because if they were all free-ranging with the girls, there would be constant fights
Depending on how many hens you have, you can have more than one roo. It's usually about 1 roo for every 10 hens

It’s really going to depend on whether they get along for the largest part, and if you’re prepared to deal with any skirmishes. You don’t have a large hen to rooster ratio, but it could still work out fine. Just keep an eye on them, and see how things go. Also, make sure they aren’t overbreeding the small amount of hens. The advice I give is based ONLY on my experience. I have more than one rooster with both my standard and bantam breeds. I deal with the occasional fights (the aggressor always spends some time in chicken prison). This is coming from someone who chooses to keep multiple roosters (I keep what I hatch 🙂)…. I have a separate rooster building. Good Wishes!

It’s really going to depend on whether they get along for the largest part, and if you’re prepared to deal with any skirmishes. You don’t have a large hen to rooster ratio, but it could still work out fine. Just keep an eye on them, and see how things go. Also, make sure they aren’t overbreeding the small amount of hens. The advice I give is based ONLY on my experience. I have more than one rooster with both my standard and bantam breeds. I deal with the occasional fights (the aggressor always spends some time in chicken prison). This is coming from someone who chooses to keep multiple roosters (I keep what I hatch 🙂)…. I have a separate rooster building. Good Wishes!
so how big does the rooster house have to be and you just walk out each night and put them in there. We are getting a new hen house that is 113 sqaure feet. We are also getting 10 new welsummer hens this spring. so should I put the roosters in the 86 square foot
hen house?

so how big does the rooster house have to be and you just walk out each night and put them in there. We are getting a new hen house that is 113 sqaure feet. We are also getting 10 new welsummer hens this spring. so should I put the roosters in the 86 square foot
hen house?
My roo bldg isn’t much bigger than that. I have multiple roosts and an old nesting box cabinet that they can use to get away and hide for a bit (for anyone getting picked on). I have a nice attached run as well. I don’t allow free ranging due to the large amount of predators. It works really well for my 8 boys. Plus, they were all raised together and get along most of the time. Each morning, I open the door to the run. Then close and lock it up myself every night. In my opinion, more room is ALWAYS better. But, if you don’t have a lot of extra, it can still work out fine. I’d place the hens in the larger building, if you have a lot more of them.

My roo bldg isn’t much bigger than that. I have multiple roosts and an old nesting box cabinet that they can use to get away and hide for a bit (for anyone getting picked on). I have a nice attached run as well. I don’t allow free ranging due to the large amount of predators. It works really well for my 8 boys. Plus, they were all raised together and get along most of the time. Each morning, I open the door to the run. Then close and lock it up myself every night. In my opinion, more room is ALWAYS better. But, if you don’t have a lot of extra, it can still work out fine. I’d place the hens in the larger building, if you have a lot more of them.
Do the hens and the roosters live sepretly because we wanted one of the hens to have some fertile eggs to incubate.

Do the hens and the roosters live sepretly because we wanted one of the hens to have some fertile eggs to incubate.
I have 2 Roos with my standard hens. Multiple with my Seramas and other bantams. The rest of mine do live separate, unless I want to breed one. If I want to breed a specific hen and roo, I choose the roo and hen and separate the two for a while.

Back
Top Bottom