HELP! I need help with a resuscitated chick!

Be careful with greek yogurt, it is very thick and can be heavy on the stomach, in my opinion its also more acidic than regular. And some contain lots of sugar. Plain, unflavored is best in my opinion. Naturally chickens dont get yogurt, so go as natural as you can. Since he is sick, I would deffinately not trust anything with aspertame in it either, or any false sugar like sucralose.

I think there's something wrong with the little guy. He's not eating any solids and he isn't interested in any form of food. I've tried but when I take him away to feed he just cries and cries, and when I try and feed him in the coop he just wants to hide under mama.

I think I'm just gonna let nature take its course with this one. He's not growing and his crop is empty...

Im sorry to hear hes having trouble!

Sometimes the mamma bird knows when something is wrong and will push the weak ones out of the nest. Perhaps there is something else thats wrong with him that you cant see on the outside. I hope everything works out well!!
hugs.gif

If your chick looks like this one, I'm sorry to say that the odds of your little one surviving are not likely. I had this problem not too long ago when raising my little ones. She did end up dying within two days. Symptoms: doesn't eat nearly as much as the others, can't really stand up straight, sits down a lot, cannot walk correctly, doesn't drink near as much as the other chicks, and just doesn't look right and VERY LETHARGIC! None of these are good sings. Your first reaction will be to provide immediate attention and care to the the little guy. DONT! Put some gatorade in a little cup that it can drink if it wants to and put some finely shredded cheese in the food. Do not separate her from the others. If it has pasty butt, leave it alone and DO NOT clean the butt, just let it be. These tips will give your little chick the best chance to survive. All in all, leave it alone from the others and don't pay it any special attention. Best of luck to you!
roll.png

The little one finally gave in this morning. He was having a lot of trouble and just wasn't growing. It had a full crop last night, but I think something must have been wrong with it. It died only a foot away from mom, so it must have known it was on its way out.

That's ok though, I'd rather the strongest survive so that I can have as hardy a flock as I can. It's just a shame because I really wanted a bantam polish and he was the only one I got.

Back
Top Bottom