Help! I need to know what kind of air plants I have.

Gwendolyn M

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2015
Do you know what kind of air plants these are? I got them online in a five pack, and they don't say what kind they are.
Here if the first:

Second:

Third:

Fourth:

And the fifth:

Also, what kind of mount would you recommend? I have them in sea shells right now, but they are unglued...

Last edited:
Do you know what kind of air plants these are? I got them online in a five pack, and they don't say what kind they are. (Let me know if the pictures work!)
Here if the first:
Very attractive. I don't know, but I'm subscribing so I can find out. None look like mine. You have a nice assortment.
I have some very old glassware types, an inch or two high and have mine in them. That way I can grab them and soak them.
Second:

Third:

Fourth:

And the fifth:

Also, what kind of mount would you recommend? I have them in sea shells right now, but they are unglued...

Last edited:
Thanks for replying!
1f600.png
I like your idea for something to put them in. Everything says stuff about glueing them onto wood and things like that, but it seems so inconvenient.

Last edited:
Update:
I've done a little bit of research, and I think that #5 is almost definitely a butzii, and #2 might be a andreana. I'm not completely sure though...

Actually, check that. #2 is definitely an argentea.
Is the care the same for all? Are they hardy? Now I have only one type. Had a different type and must have been too close to the window. They turned brown. I've had them have babies and gave some away and the cat ate some and threw them up whole. I washed them off but they died anyway There is another kind, quite large at the nursery. It's about 4 inches long with a thick bulb the size of a golf ball on the end. One of these days I'll pick one up The nursery has several displayed in a crystal bowl along with some pretty cats' eye glass marbles.

Is the care the same for all?  Are they hardy?  Now I have only one type.  Had a different type and must have been too close to the window.  They turned brown.  I've had them have babies and gave some away and the cat ate some and threw them up whole.  I washed them off but they died anyway  There is another kind, quite large at the nursery.  It's about 4 inches long with a thick bulb the size of a golf ball on the end.  One of these days I'll pick one up  The nursery has several displayed in a crystal bowl along with some pretty cats' eye glass marbles.

The care of each kind varies a bit. Some like more shade than others, some need more water, some do better on different mounts than others do, though I think that almost every single one of them says that you can keep them in a globe or a different kind of glass thingy. And yes, they are fairly hardy, some more so than others. That's really sad that your cat ate them, and the one died. The air plants you are talking about at your nursery sound really cool!!!

Back
Top Bottom