Help I think my hen is broody!!!

If you;re able to fit a blue container in the crate, then your chances would be pretty good. New hay is fine, what counts is the overall similarity- same type of container, same color, same type of bedding.

If the container doesn't fit, maybe cut it down if possible to fit in there?

by the way I try to get cat litter boxes in the same color or similarly. (happens to be blue in my case) Makes it so much easier to handle the broody hens for sure.

Hm, if the container does not fit in at all- maybe a blue covered cat litter box??

Yea it's not going to fit in the the crate I put a blue tarp over the crate if that counts.. Lol maybe if I some how place the put them together that way if she wants to come out and eat and drink and poop she can do it in the crate and then go back in the container to sit on her eggs.

This is her in the nesting box and this is what I bout to move her too below

Great pic!

How about turning the dog crate around jam it against the nest, with the door end facing the nest? Essentially a combo of nest box and mini-run for just her?

It would have to be done very securely so the other chickens or the broody hen can't move it around.. wire or latch between the cage and nest to stick them securely together.

Or you could put up chicken wire/hardware cloth around the whole level the nestbox is on as is... take away the other nest box, that would work great as a temporary cage for mother and babies(use hardware cloth instead of chicken wire for this) and make a wooden door with plywood and hinges for access. Make a frame of wood and wire and either have it hinged or removable and simply place it over the front?

If this can be accomplished, there will be zero issues with the hen staying on the nest, as long as she cannot get out of this. The other hens will use another nest site no problem.

Well I did it I moved her into the crate. It was most definitely not a great move I think it was very stressful for her. I can say I put the eggs in there and she sat on some of them for a little she left 3 out so I sort of put my fingers through and shoved those eggs closer to her she didn't do anything but then I opened the door and put her water in there and pushed them more under her she tried to peck me and fluffed up and growled at me so I let her be but I wanted to watch her and after 5 mins or so she got up like trying to figure out how to get out of that but then settled down and shifted the eggs around but not good I could still see some not covered so I didn't want them to stay like that so I opened it again and really pushed them under her and just let her be hoping she would fix herself and stay broody. I'll wait and see in the morning but is it safe to say if she is sitting on them when I left she should be good or could she do something tonite.

Does she have nesting material inside? When I put my hen in her cage i ended up putting a towel and a shirt inside forming a kind of bowl with the shirt under the towel. That kept her from pushing out the eggs most of the time as we didnt have nesting materials for her. Not so sure using was a great idea in retrospect. XD But I tried. Her eggs did hatch so theres that too.

Well I first put hay down and then put pine shavings on top and then I took the nest she was in originally and put it on top of that since Yall had mentioned to try to keep the say stuff and I hadn't used pine shaving since they were couple of months old so it still had that bowl shape from the original nest but she shifted more to the side so she's kind of off that's y I pushed the other eggs under her as much as I could. So it's night now I'm just gonna let her be hopefully she's the same way still broody.

Update!!! She is still laying on the eggs she sort of shifted them to the front of the crate where I have her water and food. I thought she would want her nest in the back that way she gets up stretches poops and drinks and eats but guess not she'll do what she wants.

Ok I put six eggs under her and she was ****** I took her out to get the other egg from today she screamed off and went to drink and pooped a lot and then ate and then she went back in there.

Does it matter if it was like 73 degrees in the house while the eggs were in the basket and now put them out there for her to sit on. I hope it works. Is there a way I can check after so many days if there are chicks growing in there?

Eggs kept at 73 degrees before incubating will be just fine. Eggs can be candled if they are white or light colored. After a week I take a bright light (flashlight) and hold the eggs over it. Make sure the light gives off no heat. If the embryo is forming you will be able to see it. If the light passes through the egg (clear) then the embryo is not forming.

Back
Top Bottom