HELP I think something is wrong???

katelk

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
White Bluff, TN
I currently have 5 orp chicks in a brooder that are 5 weeks old. Everything has been going smoothly and everyone has looked perfectly normal and healthy until yesterday I noticed that one chick, who has always been the smallest, seemed to be having issues with BOTH legs. It was like her "knees" were bending backwards almost, causing her legs to straighten out at times making it difficult for her to walk. I have been watching her like a hawk since and am noticing. It more and more. She has not been roosting and often when she bends over to eat or drink one of her legs will straighten up under her and she will sink into that side. She is keeping her feet under her though, it is just her knee joint. What is this and what should I do?! Why is it just now happening and should I isolate her for any reason??
Thank you!!!

Good luck, hopefully someone can give you advice soon. You might consider posting in the disease/injury forum.
hugs.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I did repost this in the emergency/illness section. I am hoping it is a vitamin B deficiency and am starting her on Poly-Vi-Sol (no iron) tomorrow. Hopefully this will help! Thank you for the replies and the helpful link!

How long does it usually take for a chick to turn around if it is just having issues due to a vitamin deficiency? I am giving the chick 2-3 small drops of Poly-Vi-Sol on some bread crumbs 3 times a day. Is this adequate? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom