HELP! I THINK THEY ATE THE BEDDING

JODISABRINA

Hatching
Jun 20, 2022
newbie...:) first night with baby chicks. we are doing the heat plate brooder. We have paper towels on top of shelf liner. Then I got a little cocky I guess and put some pine shavings mixed with hemp bedding in a small cardboard box. I feel like one or two of the little ladies ate some of the hemp. I am completely new to this! My hemp bedding is like small wood shavings. I have had grit in sprinkled throughout the brooder since we got them Thursday morning early. Should I do anything to be sure she/they are okay if ingested....thank you for any advice!!!

I keep mine on large flakes from the moment they hatch. I haven't had them eat any yet
I keep mine on large flakes from the moment they hatch. I haven't had them eat any yet
X2 cause baby chicks are dumb....just watch make sure they dont get lethargic, and if you wanted you could message there crop and or let that chicke. Have some cocnut oil to help push it out. But if she didnt eat to much I wouldn't be worried about it

ok awesome...thank you all! i'm out of coconut oil....can i use olive oil--like mix a little in with a bite of food ?

ok awesome...thank you all! i'm out of coconut oil....can i use olive oil--like mix a little in with a bite of food ?
Yes warm but not HOT.....test on your inner arm like you would a baby bottle....and you dont need much if I were you I would just give her a drop or two and massage

Chicks will pick up bedding in their mouth because they do not have hands. Most of the time if you watch carefully they eventually drop the bedding. Much like a human baby they are new to the world and want to touch everything to figure out what it is. The grit you provided will ensure that if something was swallowed it will be able to be passed.

Back
Top Bottom