Help ID this red chicken

homesteader824

Chirping
Jun 1, 2015
Missouri Ozarks
Everybody was so quick and helpful helping me with the black Australorps, so I thought I'd try to identify the red chicken I got. It's 10 weeks old, and that's about all the lady that gave it to me knew. Here are a couple of pictures:

Is there any way to identify it other than as one of the "reds," such as Rhode Island, New Hampshire, or Production Red? Is there much difference between the reds? I have production reds and have been very happy with them. Any help would be appreciated.

Your bird is another Production Red. Technically speaking there is little or no difference between hatchery quality RIRs, NHs, and Production Reds. Production Reds are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a red gene hen. If the offspring turn out a darker shade of red (closer to mahogany), most hatcheries market them under the RIR label. If the offspring turn out a lighter shade of red (closer to chestnut), they market them under the NH label. If the red shade is somewhere between or very uneven, they market them under the Production Red label. If you want a RIR or NH that conforms closely to SOP standards in depth of body and color, you will have to purchase them from a reputable breeder.

Thanks, I didn't know color was the only difference.

You're welcome. New Hampshires were originally bred through selective breeding of Rhode Island Reds to produce a red gene bird that matured earlier and feathered more rapidly. Both heritage Rhode Island Reds and New Hampshires have deep bodies with black tail feathers, but hatcheries, which were more interested in egg production than body type, largely diluted these SOP characteristics by selecting RIRs and HNs that were the most productive egg layers to be used as breeding stock. Occasionally, hatcheries even infused a little Leghorn into their breeding stock to boost egg production even more. As a result, the deep body and often the abundant profuse black tail feathers and distinctive shades of red (mahogany and chestnut) were largely lost, and the hatcheries began labeling these birds, Production Reds. Knowing that there was still a sentimental attachment to the heritage RIRs and NHs, the hatcheries begin taking those PRs with a darker shade of red and marketing them as RIRs, and those with a lighter shade of red as NHs; sometimes even labeling them New Hampshire Reds, which is a sure sign that it is a Production Red since there is no such breed as a New Hampshire "Red." The correct name of the heritage breed is just "New Hampshire."

Back
Top Bottom