Help identifying

Nightowlmom

Hatching
Jul 9, 2015
Hi there, I'm a first time chicken owner. I've been reading the forums here and looking elsewhere on the net but I can't convince myself what breeds I have for chicks. They are about 10 weeks old now. One is a Brahma (feather feet right?) but I don't know if she's a specific type or not. She's the biggest, and meanest, for sure.

Here are the pics if anyone can suggest some ideas at this point. Or do you need the combs full grown before it's possible to identify with certainty?

Thanks
!

You have that Brahma, she is whats we consider a 'Light Brahma'
Otherwise, I don't know much about 'skinnier' breeds but they are beautiful and look like hens, as does your Brahma.

welcome-byc.gif

Where did you get your birds?

The first looks like a Dark Cornish, but I'm not sure. Mine don't have near that much tail. I don't know if it's just how she's moving in the picture or not, not sure what else she could be. I'm pretty sure she has a pea comb? If a straight comb it could be a Barnevelder.

White rose comb bird, first thought is white Wyandotte, but the body shape is off. I don't know if there are rose comb Rhode Island Whites, or how easy they'd be to get.....

Last bird is indeed a light Brahma.

welcome-byc.gif

Where did you get your birds?

The first looks like a Dark Cornish, but I'm not sure. Mine don't have near that much tail. I don't know if it's just how she's moving in the picture or not, not sure what else she could be. I'm pretty sure she has a pea comb? If a straight comb it could be a Barnevelder.

White rose comb bird, first thought is white Wyandotte, but the body shape is off. I don't know if there are rose comb Rhode Island Whites, or how easy they'd be to get.....

Last bird is indeed a light Brahma.
I think it has a wrong tail for a Rhode island, and I know for a fact that it is not a barnevelder, while the colours are the same Barnevelers are so much bigger and more of a teapot shape.

I think we're looking at hatchery quality birds here that fall considerably short of the standard or perfection; Dark Cornish pullet (top), White Wyandotte pullet (middle), and Light Brahma pullet (bottom).

I think we're looking at hatchery quality birds here that fall considerably short of the standard or perfection; Dark Cornish pullet (top), White Wyandotte pullet (middle), and Light Brahma pullet (bottom).

Michael, I don't "recognize" you when you keep changing your avatar
wink.png
. She just gets more adorable!

Thanks for all the info! We picked the girls up at a local farm/hardware store during a 4H event. There was a huge breeder just full of all sorts of different looking birds.

So there's no pedigree at all.

I always joke the top one is a cross between a chicken and a hawk. Her head is just so sleek and not much of a comb yet. The white ones are beautiful but so hard to tell apart.

The light brahma is by far the most exciting to watch but she is also very dominating. I was/am afraid she's a roo (which we can't have where we live) because she's so dominant and in particular picks at the top one pictured - the dark cornish? I'd read Brahmas were sweet and gentle. Is that not true or is did she just luck out when it comes to a personality gene? I do love them all though!

Thanks for all the info! We picked the girls up at a local farm/hardware store during a 4H event. There was a huge breeder just full of all sorts of different looking birds.

So there's no pedigree at all.

I always joke the top one is a cross between a chicken and a hawk. Her head is just so sleek and not much of a comb yet. The white ones are beautiful but so hard to tell apart.

The light brahma is by far the most exciting to watch but she is also very dominating. I was/am afraid she's a roo (which we can't have where we live) because she's so dominant and in particular picks at the top one pictured - the dark cornish? I'd read Brahmas were sweet and gentle. Is that not true or is did she just luck out when it comes to a personality gene? I do love them all though!

Brahmas are normally a very calm and gentle breed (my children made lap pets of them) and one of the quietest breeds I've ever owned. Of course, there can always be an exception with any breed.

My Brahmas are very gentle, but TALKATIVE! If they see me, they follow me around and cackle or cluck at me the whole time. The only two roos I've had were an EE roo (mean) and an Australorp that was killed by a predator before he got into his teenage years. Your hen is definitely a Brahma - and it looks like a pullet to me. Mine are Buffs.

Back
Top Bottom