Help! Infection In Buff Orpington Hen!

Ellochicken

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
My Yellow Buff Orpington hen, Sunshine, has pus coming from a hole in her back. Is there anything I can do to help her? And I can't accept any vet advice, my family said no to taking chickens to the vet, so any home remedies or things I can order online are all I can do for her.

Thank You!
-Ellochicken
yippiechickie.gif

First off I'd clean it with peroxide and isolate her. As always a picture would be helpful. Maybe an anti biotic will be helpful. My birds have staph on their feet at the moment and I'm giving them Gallimycin for it.

Please post a picture. We will be able to help you better if we can see it.
Do you know how she got the sore? Is it an infected wound?
I wouldn't recommend peroxide. Use betadine. If you HAVE to use peroxide, dilute it with some water first. Clean out as much of the pus as you can gently. Do not squeeze at the sore! You with irritate it and make it worse. Put her in a pet carrier or a large-ish cardboard box where she can be away from other birds in a quiet place, preferably where you can keep a very close eye on her. Feed her TONS and TONS of garlic. I did this with one of my hens and it worked wonders. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and it does it's job well. Soak her feed in warm water to make a mush and mix in mixed garlic. Put sliced garlic in her waterer. Put garlic in EVERYTHING you feed her. She will start to smell funny, and her poop will too. This is normal and it is a very good thing. If it is a very bad infection, she may need an injectable antibiotic. I've never had to do this, so that is someone else area of expertise. I've taken care of lots of infections, so if you have any questions let me know. If I don't know the answer I will do my best to help you find it.

Put some antibiotic ointment on the sore and make sure she can't peck at it. If you have a hen apron, put that on her.

Last edited:
Please post a picture. We will be able to help you better if we can see it.
Do you know how she got the sore? Is it an infected wound?
I wouldn't recommend peroxide. Use betadine. If you HAVE to use peroxide, dilute it with some water first. Clean out as much of the pus as you can gently. Do not squeeze at the sore! You with irritate it and make it worse. Put her in a pet carrier or a large-ish cardboard box where she can be away from other birds in a quiet place, preferably where you can keep a very close eye on her. Feed her TONS and TONS of garlic. I did this with one of my hens and it worked wonders. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and it does it's job well. Soak her feed in warm water to make a mush and mix in mixed garlic. Put sliced garlic in her waterer. Put garlic in EVERYTHING you feed her. She will start to smell funny, and her poop will too. This is normal and it is a very good thing. If it is a very bad infection, she may need an injectable antibiotic. I've never had to do this, so that is someone else area of expertise. I've taken care of lots of infections, so if you have any questions let me know. If I don't know the answer I will do my best to help you find it.

Put some antibiotic ointment on the sore and make sure she can't peck at it. If you have a hen apron, put that on her.
Thank You So Much! And I tried to take a picture, but I didn't have a camera at the time, so I will get to it ASAP! Thank you so much for your help! I don't really have a pet carrier or a cardboard box or, come to think of it, somewhere to isolate her! I will talk about it with the other members of my household... Thanks Again!

-Ellochicken
yippiechickie.gif

Thank You So Much! And I tried to take a picture, but I didn't have a camera at the time, so I will get to it ASAP! Thank you so much for your help! I don't really have a pet carrier or a cardboard box or, come to think of it, somewhere to isolate her! I will talk about it with the other members of my household... Thanks Again!

-Ellochicken
No problem! However, isolation is very important. You will need to get her separated as soon as you possibly can. Anything big enough for her to fit in will be fine for a short while. A tote, a laundry basket, anything. She needs to be away from other birds in a quiet, stress free area. That's very important to her healing.

Back
Top Bottom