Help! Injured hen!

We had her separated or inside for over a week this second time. Her wound had healed over and was almost fleshy. We'd applied blue Kote to aid in healing. Before allowing her back out we reapplied to make sure any pink flesh left didn't show. We reintegrated at night. By morning she was a bloody mess. We've decided to remove her and our oldest hen who's been the biggest pecker and isnt laying anyways from the flock and replace them with some young black copper Marans. It sucks but it has to be done.
I am so sorry to hear it. I have not had any trouble since I moved mine to a larger space. I think mine were pecking each other because they were stressed at being so closely confined. I do hope you have better success with the new hens.

We decided to take care of the old hen first. The maran actually seems to have done alright today. No new blood and she and the old gal were roosting next to each other. Maybe all hope is not lost. We butchered a rooster yesterday and still have another to do before we get to these girls so they have a little longer to see if they can get along. This chicken business is so hard some times. I'm hoping they will still prove me wrong, a know 11th hour reprieve of sorts. It would be nice to keep her since she lays eggs ever single day, lovely coffee colored tongs with dark chocolately spots. I can hope!

We decided to take care of the old hen first. The maran actually seems to have done alright today. No new blood and she and the old gal were roosting next to each other. Maybe all hope is not lost. We butchered a rooster yesterday and still have another to do before we get to these girls so they have a little longer to see if they can get along. This chicken business is so hard some times. I'm hoping they will still prove me wrong, a know 11th hour reprieve of sorts. It would be nice to keep her since she lays eggs ever single day, lovely coffee colored tongs with dark chocolately spots. I can hope!
I hope so too!

Separate her and try some antibiotics. Keep an eye on the wound and make sure it doesn't get infected

I went to the local tractor supply and got something called pine tar. it contains anticeptics and covers wound. was highly recommended buy lady at the store she has over a hundred chickens. I do have a cage to separate her if I have to. I am going to clean her up with peroxide and put it on her. I hope she does well.

Back
Top Bottom