Help integreting Bantams to Brahmas, age difference, in coop

NakaFlight

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
Hello everyone!
I am a new chicken owner/handler.
We built our coop this spring, about four or five Saturdays. It's 10ft wide 12 ft long and wired to rafters. It has a 3x2 window double wired and another window 3x1.5. There's no door into this garden building, and all we did was build one wall. It has cement flooring which I cover with wood shavings when the smell gets bad and it looks like it needs freshening up. It has a raised roost ledge and it has a raised nesting box to get eggs from the outside. The roosting ledge is not shown here.

I got 10 light brahmas from Tractor supply this spring. They're straight run, so I still don't know which are boys or girls. They will be 3 months old this Saturday.

I was given 4 Bantams last Monday the 6th by my Father-in-law. He was going to release them in his horse barn to keep flys and ticks down, but decided not to because they looked too small. I've had them in an old rabbit cage at first in the corner, but now in the center of the coop, since he gave them to me on the 6th. They keep knocking over their water, and this morning, after I took the following photos, I opened the cage to feed and water them when they ran out to the Brahma's water to drink. That's when some of the bigger brahmas came over to peck at them and chase them around the outside of the cage.

I want to integrate them because they're mostly feathered and continually knocking over their water and I don't want them getting dehydrated.

Should I have my husband cull what we think are cockerels before letting the bantams out? What do I do?

Thank you in advance,
Nakase

Have I posted this in the wrong section?
Does anyone have any advice?
=(

Give them a day or two.....someone that knows chickens (more than me)
hopefully will see your post and reply...
meanwhile, go through the threads already posted, one might help you or
go to the 'search' band up top with 'integreting bantams to brahmas' or something...

my questions to you would be....how old are the bantams? how long have they been
caged in the coop? meantime, I would get a poutry water from the feed store so
your younguns' don't keep knocking over their water...

good luck!
D.gif

The bantams are about a month old, and have been caged in the coop since May 6th.
This morning, I once again found the water knocked over. My husband suggested putting it on a brick, so I did that this morning.
I still would like advice on how, or when to let them in with the bigger chickens. If I need to get rid of the cockerels first or not?

Do you free range at all? Is it possible to let the bantams out and let them have the run of the coop when the brahmas head out to free range? You're doing excellent so far in having them in a place where they can all see each other but not hurt each other.

How are the brahma's acting towards the chicks when they're in the cage? Do they ignore them completely? Do they seem to continually try to figure out how to get at them? Do they seem to cozy up to it and "chat"?

The age difference is a bit wide to really integrate them.. I'd give the bantams another month. However, you mentioned the water keeps getting kicked over.. that's easy to fix. Take some cotton rope (the 1/4-1/2 inch stuff) and tie it around the body of the waterer and through the grating of the cage. Viola, the waterer will now be tied to a corner of the cage, making it impossible for them to kick over.

Aside from that.. keep an eye on the brahmas' behavior towards the bantams. Once it gets to the "ignore completely/sit and chat" stage, start letting the bantams out when you're around to supervise. Some kicking/chest bumping/fighting will happen. Its how they establish the pecking order, your job is to keep it from getting bloody. I always keep a pool noodle handy for breaking up fights between new arrivals.. its firm but soft, so firm enough to make them move back, but soft enough that if I have to tap them with it, no chicken is actually harmed.

Back
Top Bottom