Help is an EEroo ok with silkies

Erikalpowers

Songster
Mar 11, 2020
Greenfield NY
I have seen so many mixed opinions on this. I have an Easter egger rooster I would like to put in with my mixed flock of standard size birds and silkys. Although he is not a very large bird, he is bigger than my silkys. I want to be sure that he will be OK mounting them. He maybe weighs 5 or 6 pounds. He looks bigger than he feels because hes also a frizzle. He is almost a year old and up until now has been kept in a bachelor pad. But he is the only rooster left and I would like to put him in with the flock. What are your experiences with a mid sized rooster and silkys? Thank you

Attachments

• 20230219_095100.jpg
    20230219_095100.jpg
    843.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230219_094915.jpg
    20230219_094915.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230219_094854.jpg
    20230219_094854.jpg
    819.5 KB · Views: 3
A photo would be better. Try to place one of your silkies and your rooster next to the same object so we can distinguish hight and possibly weight difference

I think rooster size being a problem comes down more to temperament and how he treats the hens. I keep a 12lb rooster in my mixed flock even with the bantams. He leaves the bantams alone, he is nice to the little Old English Bantam Rooster, but still watches out for them like he does his other ladies. I had a Cochin bantam cockerel who even after letting him grow out of the hormones still was too rough with the bantam hens. That being said I would not be worried about a well behaved 5-6lb rooster in with silkies. However, if he is a jerk to the other hens I just wouldn't have him with any of them regardless of size. In this picture you can see my roosters size (he was a 7 month old cockerel in this picture) standing next to two of my standard sized hens, my porcelain d'uccle bantam hen and my Old English Bantam Rooster.
PXL_20221011_224939788~2.jpg

Last edited:
I think rooster size being a problem comes down more to temperament and how he treats the hens. I keep a 12lb rooster in my mixed flock even with the bantams. He leaves the bantams alone, he is nice to the little Old English Bantam Rooster, but still watches out for them like he does his other ladies. I had a Cochin bantam cockerel who even after letting him grow out of the hormones still was too rough with the bantam hens. That being said I would not be worried about a well behaved 5-6lb rooster in with silkies. However, if he is a jerk to the other hens I just wouldn't have him with any of them regardless of size. In this picture you can see my roosters size (he was a 7 month old cockerel in this picture) standing next to two of my standard sized hens, my porcelain d'uccle bantam hen and my Old English Bantam Rooster.
View attachment 3409722
I'll try him. I think he'll be a little awkward at first since he's almost a year and never been with hens. I'll do it on a day I'm home so I can spend time throughout the day watching his interactions. Thank you!

He's probably not to big weight wise, but I would be on the lookout for how his technique is (we we obviously don't know yet) and if the silkies are willing. Those two things make a big difference

I'm considering putting my Easter egger frizzle in with my flock. I have a mix of standard size hens and silkys. Would the EE be too large to mount the silkys safety? He is about to be one yr and until now he has been kept in a bachelor pad. So he doesn't really have any experience.
He will be able to mount the Silkie hens safely.

Back
Top Bottom