Help!!!!!! Is he tame?

Hi i adopted a peach-faced lovebird named Sam I know for sure he is a boy. I can't stick mt hand in his cage without him freaking out. But one i get him out i wolf whistle and say sammie boy in a sweet voice ad he walks up hops up gives one short loud tweet and is fine. he loves hiding in my hiding in my hair and sitting on my head as i do stuff. he doesnt like being with other people very much.

Help????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaww, I have an identical bird, he is about eighteen yrs old, I got him from someone when he was 1 yr, he was being attacked by her parrot so she needed to rehome him, he was quite tame as he had been hand reared but he did take a while to get used to his new home and me, don't rush him, let him get used to his enviroment first but talk to him as much as you can, then when you let him out ( in a nice safe room) just sit with him and let him get used to you that way, it will take a while but he will start trusting you, mine will now sit on my shoulder as I move around the house, go to sleep in my hand while laying on his back , preen my eyelashes and eyebrows and drink from my glass, or try to have a bath in it! With a bit of patience he will make a lovely little friend, just make sure you get used to shutting doors and windows when he is out and give him the biggest cage you can, mine lives in a chinchilla cage, it is tall so he can climb up and down, it also has shelves so he has a bath in there as well..... Good luck and hope all goes well X Oh and mine is always by the window so he can see whats going on and have good daylight

This is chirpy, my first lovebird, he was raised with baby cockateils, handfeed and loved. Chirpy has no ideal that he is a lovebird LOL, his mate is a cockateil named Scruffy and yes he is a male also.Chirpy is also a peachface, he never bites anyone not even new people.
So I thought ummmm lets handfeed another lovebird also a peachface, but at the time I had no cockateils baby.Her name is Gizmo, hand raised she had lots of time with her human flock (mom and dad) she slept with her Teddy bear that she loves.spent a lot of time with dad (my hubby) he taught her to say GIZMO, as she jumped up as she said her name,she loves her ball she would stand on the ball and balance herself, while the ball was moving.Gizmo and her daddy got very bonded.
then it happened the bites, her cage was very close to her dad, nothing changed except her age she got older, her time to make eggs (no males around her but of course that don't stop anything) she attack her dad, she attacked if anyone came near her toys which was not in her cage.
We do have times that she will not bite at all, she very loving, wants her head to be scratch, and loved on.
This is what worked for us.
Get a spray bottle make sure it has the jet stream lol.(use only water)
When you get bit spray them just once and say NO BITE this will stop them for a moment and make them think.
They have a 3 second attention span, even playing with toys.
To get your bird out of his cage just open his door leave it open, its his choice but you can out fox him by putting millet outside his cage let him walk to it don't place it near the open door.
with Gizmo I have to have the spray bottle and place close to her cage, she will run to her tent yelling at me, and all I am doing is changing her food and water dish,she really hates that bottle, I don't have to use it just show her.this is some of the things we do.
Just don't rush your bird to hop on your hand it takes time.

Last edited:
Here's a funny story,about Chripy(lovebird) and his flock of teils.
Chripy would sleep on my neck in my hair, he loves playing or hiding in my hair.I was sitting in my chair, Chripy was hiding in my hair just waiting for the right time, he peeked and saw about 8 cockateils sleepping on me .each teils had been loved, scratched and just was relaxed taking a nap, well Chripy decided to have some fun, he ran out from my hair and jumped on my chest with his wings out SCREAMING LOL, all of the teils running flying and thorwing a fit screaming, from a dead sleep every teils was on the floor wondering what the heck what happened? While Chirpy was looking down on them very proud that he spooked all the teils.I swear I saw chirpy smiling as he watched the teils climbing back up to me. Now he still does it,the teils respond the same, as Chirpy still smiles.

Back
Top Bottom