Help, is this wry neck? Mareks?

Pompona

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Spain
My little 4 month old bantam seemed off a few days ago, so I started treating with Corid. After 4 days she still seemed a bit fluffed up, so Iast night I decided better treat with tortrazuril and stopped Corid. Now she is like this, she won't lift her neck. I can only think of wry neck or Marek's (we had a case a couple of years ago). How can I help her? Vitamins?
Thanks
20231012_105642.jpg

Only seen wry neck in new chicks. They would throw their heads back and fall over. Treatment for wry neck is Vitamin e. 1 capsule a day. If it is vitamin deficiency wry neck she should get better quickly. Can also give a general chicken vitamin to give her a boost or 1/4 vitamin b complex tablet.

My little 4 month old bantam seemed off a few days ago, so I started treating with Corid. After 4 days she still seemed a bit fluffed up, so Iast night I decided better treat with tortrazuril and stopped Corid. Now she is like this, she won't lift her neck. I can only think of wry neck or Marek's (we had a case a couple of years ago). How can I help her? Vitamins?
ThanksView attachment 3657791
What's her poop like?
What are you feeding?

Is the container tall enough for her to even be able to stand up fully if she wanted to?

It could be Wry Neck, but I wonder if she got her head hung in the cover of the container.

Either way, I'd start her on 400IU Vitamin E along with a little egg each day.
Once you finish the Corid, then begin giving 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

I found her like that yesterday night, but I though she was just very sleepy and a bit weak.
She was perched though, on a low perch with some other chickens. But this morning I couldn't find her and she was hidden behind a wooden box. She was standing like that, with her head down. That's when I put her in the container.About the container, yes it is tall enough that she could lift her head if she wanted to. It's temporary though, I couldn't find any cage. I will go get a cage or something bigger tomorrow.
She lives with other bantams and a couple of normal hens, I wonder if soneone stepped on her or something like that and she injured her neck. I mean, she usually is very active and agile, but being a bit weak (coccidiosis?) maybe someone trampled her.

Her poop this morning was just water/urates. I tube fed her a couple of times adding vitamins and Harrison's recovery mash. After that, her poop was watery, and some green solids. I think she might have been starving and dehidrated. She usually eats pelleted food for chickens (a supposedly good brand) and some budgie seeds sometimes, as a treat.

An hour ago, I offered some soft whole wheat bread and she managed to eat it, from the floor. So she can move her neck a bit, it seems.
But she is still standing with her head down.
IAnyway,
I will keep feeding her, taking care of her a couple of days to see if she improves

She seems much better after tube feeding (mash + vitamins). She started eating more on her own and flew up to her favorite perching site. Still not 100% well, but at least she has a chance to recover. So I think it was vitamin B1 Thiamine deficiency after the amprolium. And her sebright friend just joined her :)

Attachments

• 20231012_190940.jpg
    20231012_190940.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 16971308426148763429606665717314.jpg
    16971308426148763429606665717314.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 7
Update: she completely recovered, but as I am battling with what I suspect is Marek's in my flock (waiting for necropsy results of another dead chicken), I don't know if she will get sick again.

Back
Top Bottom