Help, I've created a monster turkey!

I read the hen actually has the ability to store the sperm. It's a throw back to wild turkeys where they can redo a nest in case the one they are starting to set on is destroyed.

I have never tested the theory but I might this year with a couple of hens to see how long they can lay fertile eggs. After I remove the tom.

Sounds like a good experiment. Won't have anything to lose.
I would be interested in the results.

Hmmmm I'd be interested in the finding on that too...I might be able to find some published research on that tonight if I get time :)

In the meantime, thank you for the info; I guess I'll keep him just a bit longer. If she doesn't want to brood, I'll incubate and or use a broody, and if I do get rid of him, I'll crack a few random eggs if she's still laying 4 weeks out and have a look see for fertility!

Hm, I'm wondering if there was a discrepancy in that in regards to how long the hen is laying fertile eggs vs how long the eggs are viable for hatching?

My next question then, of course; how long are fertile eggs good for? Can I store them for a month or is it going to be a 2-3 week max on that?

Last edited:
Hm, I'm wondering if there was a discrepancy in that in regards to how long the hen is laying fertile eggs vs how long the eggs are viable for hatching?

My next question then, of course; how long are fertile eggs good for? Can I store them for a month or is it going to be a 2-3 week max on that?

I have never stored them longer than 8 days, the longer you store the less chance of them hatching. A week is fine though.

Well, maybe I will be able to add some helpful data when I set my turkey's next eggs. I sold my tom on the same day my hen went broody. After 11 days, her fake nest was destroyed, and she quit sitting. I had been taking her off it every night anyway. 23 days after I sold my tom, she started laying again. Due to life circumstances, I am not able to set the new eggs until mid April, so they will be stored longer than is recommended. If any hatch, it may answer some of our questions about a mating still being viable three weeks later, after going broody, and about long term storage.

It was recommended that I store them upside down in a cool humid location and not turn them. I will let you know in a month or so how it turns out.

That would be great. Thanks.

I had 4 eggs in the refrigerator last year. For almost a month. Just in a door compartment on their side.
Thought I was done incubating and a friend wanted some eggs hatched.

So while I incubated his I threw those in. 2 of the 4 hatched.

Well, maybe I will be able to add some helpful data when I set my turkey's next eggs. I sold my tom on the same day my hen went broody. After 11 days, her fake nest was destroyed, and she quit sitting. I had been taking her off it every night anyway. 23 days after I sold my tom, she started laying again. Due to life circumstances, I am not able to set the new eggs until mid April, so they will be stored longer than is recommended. If any hatch, it may answer some of our questions about a mating still being viable three weeks later, after going broody, and about long term storage.

It was recommended that I store them upside down in a cool humid location and not turn them. I will let you know in a month or so how it turns out.

That would be great, thanks! :)

I might not get the chance to find out this year anyway; it looks like shes already broody; she went to her nest last night and slept on it instead of roosting in her tree, so....

But I am going to save 3 eggs for a broody chicken, so they're just on my kitchen counter, at 68*F, on their side. The oldest one is 9 days old today, so the clock is ticking, we'll just have to experiment and find out!

Back
Top Bottom