HELP! Labored Breathing in Pullet, Broken Leg, Raccoon Attack, & Antibiotics

ChicknCharm

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Alpine
So, our 8 week baby hen is hanging in there (literally in a make-shift traction hammock, I posted an earlier thread about that) after her leg was munched by a raccoon. We put her in traction, and put the leg in a splint. The leg was very swollen, toes are swollen and probably broken a bit, too. The leg became hot and hotter, so I started injections with Pen -G yesterday and today. SAD THING is she seems to be doing worse. Her breathing is very heavy and I hear (maybe) gurgles or something. She did not breath heavy or wheeze the first and second day after the attack, the leg was hot on the third day, I got antibiotics and the syringes on the fourth. Today is the 5th day.

I put Vet RX under her wings and a dab on her nose.

I plan to continue the Pen G injections, I am doing them in her chest. Is there any chance the antibiotics are making it worse? I cannot give the small .02cc amount, it is not possible with any needles at our feedstore. I am doing the smallest amount on the needle and trying not to inject all the way.

I have not removed the bandages to clean where there is a gash because of the splint.

ANY SUGGESTIONS for this type problem? She is still eating and drinking, so I will help her until she gives up herself.

The Pen G should not be making it worse. The problem is likely that her body is shutting down. It sounds like she may have pneumonia started. There is not much more you can do for her. I would continue with the injections because an infection is likely what is causing her to be so ill. You can also rotate the sites and use the good thigh as an injection site, as well as the breast. The antibiotics should start kicking in soon. Hopefully, it is soon enough.

Good luck.

Thank you so much, we will continue. The leg is still hot this morning. She has a good, normal looking poop and continues to eat and drink.

If you can think on anything else, please post again.

Back
Top Bottom