Help! Lethargic hen, not eating!

shadow rabbit10

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 3, 2012
New Jersey
I need help. This morning, I noticed my buff Orpington hen (1 year old) was very slow at coming out of the coop. She didn't eat much today, and is very lethargic. She is sitting down, and standing around in the shade a lot (it is not that hot out here). She was fine yesterday. Her comb is a mottled light red/white color, and it appears her wings are drooping the tiniest bit. The rest of the flock is fine as of right now, but is it safe to leave her with them? I checked her eyes and nostrils and I don't see any discharge. I do have a vet nearby if absolutely necessary.

Update: I did a mite check, and found nothing. I do notice that she is closing her eyes a lot as well. My birds were at the county fair two weeks ago. Would something take that long to show up?

Last edited:
Its quite possible . could she have coccidosis? Bloody droppings are not always present with cocci. Symptoms would be lethergie sleepiness . if her breathing is normal no mucus is present her crop is emptying as it should and she's not egg bound I would guess coccidosis. You can treat cocci with amprolium brand name would be corid or amprol. It kills all 9 strains of cocci. Take a look at symptoms of coccidosis online and keep in mind they CAN have coccidosis without having bloody poo.if you also think her symptoms match lethargic sleepy ruffled feathers then I would treat with the amprolium brand name corid or amprol. Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Its quite possible . could she have coccidosis? Bloody droppings are not always present with cocci. Symptoms would be lethergie sleepiness . if her breathing is normal no mucus is present her crop is emptying as it should and she's not egg bound I would guess coccidosis. You can treat cocci with amprolium brand name would be corid or amprol. It kills all 9 strains of cocci. Take a look at symptoms of coccidosis online and keep in mind they CAN have coccidosis without having bloody poo.if you also think her symptoms match lethargic sleepy ruffled feathers then I would treat with the amprolium brand name corid or amprol. Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Her breathing and everything is normal. I did notice some watery/runny poops in the run today. Even if I'm not 100% sure it is coccidiosis, can I treat anyways? Should I treat the whole flock? The symptoms are similar to her behavior. Thanks.

Last edited:
She a little old for coccidiosis, but older ones can get it. If she were mine I would de-worm her with fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) and I'd probably also treat her with Corid. I actually have one right now that I'm doing that with, she's a five year old Buff Japanese Bantam and I'm giving her both .75ml Safeguard and .1ml 9.6% Corid orally for five days.

-Kathy

She a little old for coccidiosis, but older ones can get it. If she were mine I would de-worm her with fenbendazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) and I'd probably also treat her with Corid. I actually have one right now that I'm doing that with, she's a five year old Buff Japanese Bantam and I'm giving her both .75ml Safeguard and .1ml 9.6% Corid orally for five days.

-Kathy
Thanks. Should I do the same for the rest of the flock?

De-worming, yes, for sure. No need to treat the others with Corid or Amprol (amprolium), but it won't hurt them either. While you're at it, dust them all with poultry dust even if you can't see bugs, I bet they have some. TSC should have all the items you need.

-Kathy

Last edited:
De-worming, yes, for sure. No need to treat the others with Corid or Amprol (amprolium), but it won't hurt them either. While you're at it, dust them all with poultry dust even if you can't see bugs, I bet they have some. TSC should have all the items you need.

-Kathy
Thanks. I'm going to the store tomorrow, so I'll get wormer and corrid. Can I mix both the liquid wormer and the liquid corrid together? Or do they need to be given separate?

I have liquid Corid, but most stores only have powder, so I think your best bet would be to put the powder in their drinking water, but give the wormer orally. When I give it to my hen I use two separate syringes, one with Corid, one with wormer.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom