Help limp rooster

noodles17

Chirping
Oct 14, 2016
Upstate NY
IMG_20190223_115723.jpg IMG_20190223_115739.jpg IMG_20190223_115752.jpg Thursday I had my 4 hens and 1 roo out free ranging after work and I noticed my roo walking real hard. He's 3yo and in his first year, protected his girls from a Fisher cat. So he's always had kind of a "bum knee" i call it. But the next day I got home real late and he wasn't roosted with the others. It's still pretty cold at night so i put him in my spare room in the house, figuring it'd help get him back on is feet but this morning I found him 3 feet from the door of the room just laying there. He's kind of limp with his wings and tail but he's pretty attentive. He's eating and drinking just fine and his poop, since I brought him in, seems to be normal. 2 of them had a kind of blue tint. Those were more solid. The rest have been runny. I lifted his tail to have a look at his bottom and it was very limp. It just fell when I dropped it but he had nothing unusual going on down there. He is 3 years old, not sure what he weighs. I feed "natures best organic layer pellet". Coop is big but not well ventilated. It has windows i open in warmer weather. Wood shavings for bedding, no light or heat cuz we live off grid so im constantly giving freash water in winter. No other chickens acting strangely. Pictures of my roo Luna

View attachment 1681980 View attachment 1681981 View attachment 1681983 Thursday I had my 4 hens and 1 roo out free ranging after work and I noticed my roo walking real hard. He's 3yo and in his first year, protected his girls from a Fisher cat. So he's always had kind of a "bum knee" i call it. But the next day I got home real late and he wasn't roosted with the others. It's still pretty cold at night so i put him in my spare room in the house, figuring it'd help get him back on is feet but this morning I found him 3 feet from the door of the room just laying there. He's kind of limp with his wings and tail but he's pretty attentive. He's eating and drinking just fine and his poop, since I brought him in, seems to be normal. 2 of them had a kind of blue tint. Those were more solid. The rest have been runny. I lifted his tail to have a look at his bottom and it was very limp. It just fell when I dropped it but he had nothing unusual going on down there. He is 3 years old, not sure what he weighs. I feed "natures best organic layer pellet". Coop is big but not well ventilated. It has windows i open in warmer weather. Wood shavings for bedding, no light or heat cuz we live off grid so im constantly giving freash water in winter. No other chickens acting strangely. Pictures of my roo Luna
I'm sorry he is not doing well.
Can you post some photos of his poop and his legs/feet too?

Have you looked at his feet/legs (bottom of feet too) for swelling, injury, frostbite or any wounds?
Have you looked through his feathers to make sure he has no wounds or injury?
Is his crop empty in the morning?

Has he eating any berries, cabbage or beets - something that would account for his poop having a blue tint?

Do what you can to keep him hydrated and eating. Hopefully we can help you figure this out. Look forward to more information and photos of his legs/feet:)

He is a handsome rooster. Do you have any poultry vitamins or Poultry Cell or NutriDrench to give him? It would be good to know if he may have been injured. Was his leg injured in the fisher cat attack? What does he do if you lift him to stand? Does he move his legs or not stay balanced? He will need to be eating often if he cannot bet to food and water. If he cannot stand you may want to try him in a chicken sling which can suspend him to get him upright and in front of food and water. Here are some pictures of homemade slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I've been looking all over to see what he could of gotten into but I've found nothing in the area to account for the blue tinted poop. In fact I cant find the blue poop at all now. his poo is consistently runny now but normal green and white and clear. His legs looked normal to me. No frost bite, not swollen. Didnt seem to mind me touching and putting pressure on them . His crop this morning was pretty full. He seems to just have no energy. When I lift him he just stays limp. Doesn't even really try to hold himself up. But when i leave the room and come back he's always a foot or 2 away from where I left him. When he was attacked by the Fisher cat 3 years ago his one "knee" was badly wounded. I put Neosporin and a wrap on it for a week but within 2 days he was back to crowing and running around with a limp. I think he has nerve damage in that leg cuz you can see it bothers him sometimes, usually cold weather. Pictures of me holding him up to see his legs will be posted in a little bit. My camera sucks so I gotta use the wife's. Been looking at the sling chairs someone mentioned. I think I'll do that cuz He's laying on his legs a little funny and looks, to me, to be uncomfortable. Thank you all for your support

His crop this morning was pretty full.
When you checked his crop this morning, had he had anything to eat/drink?

Smell his breath is it stinky? I would be worth looking inside the beak as well.
It sounds like he has a crop problem, but that can be a symptom of something else going on. It would still be important to treat the crop too.
Do what you can to keep him hydrated.

Here's a couple of articles on crop issues that you may find helpful. I would like to see your sling when you get that made too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments.67194/

We always wonder about Mareks disease when one becomes lame and limp. It helps to rule out dehydration and lack of food, but it is good that he is eating and drinking. Mareks causes a loss of balance, and there may be lameness in one leg, drooping wings, and sometimes the digestive tract is affected which can slow down crop emptying. Hopefully it is not Mareks. It normally shows up when they are younger, but it can happen at any age.

Of course a crop problem could make him weak and not getting enough nourishment. Reading through some of the articles WRposted would be good, and I would give him some vitamins. B complex is good or a poultry vitamin can be used.

when i picked him up he tried to stand but it was like one leg was limp and he just didn’t have the strength to do it one legged. what i have him in is no sling but it’s giving him cushion on his legs and the food and water right there for him. can he be too hydrated? his poo is quite runny. not eating much today.
7A5B9074-F4CF-4139-AAB7-612ED2E8C7E6.png
6A3618A9-EAAA-4FDC-B82C-900F2745281F.png

His breath is not smelly but his crop is squishy. He only ate a little today and he has been drinking just fine. I'll check his crop in the morning before he consumes anything. He isnt in a sling but he's in a litter box with towels in it to cushion his legs until I make the sling

His breath is not smelly but his crop is squishy. He only ate a little today and he has been drinking just fine. I'll check his crop in the morning before he consumes anything. He isnt in a sling but he's in a litter box with towels in it to cushion his legs until I make the sling
Re-check the crop first thing and let us know what you find.
Photos of the poop may help.
It sounds like you are making him as comfortable as you can. Did you get a chance to look him over for any injuries?

Do his legs look green or bruised, or is that just something I am seeing in the light of the pictures? He can get dehydrated, but not too hydrated if he is drinking on his own. As long as he can reach his food and water, and you feel he is getting enough, that is good. The one leg being limp sounds more like Mareks or nerve damage in the leg. I would give him the vitamin B complex 1/4 tab daily crushed onto some feed.

Back
Top Bottom