Help! Listless baby chick!

mallory2013

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 3, 2011
Western WI
My little Delaware 2 day old chick is acting listless. When I went to check them this morning, I noticed that the other chicks were ganging up on her and pecking beneath her eye, and she wasn't moving away. I think that they pecked her so much she has bald spots under her eyes, however the spots may have been there yesterday and I didn't notice. I took her out and applied some Peck-No-More underneath her eyes, and put her back in and the other chicks continued to peck her. I took her out again and put her in the shipping box they came in and put it half way underneath the heat lamp with new shavings as bedding, water that has 4 drops of Nutri-Drench, and mashed boiled egg. She is now laying on her stomach with her eyes closed and frankly doesn't look too good. I have been dipping her beak in the water and she has been drinking, but I haven't seen her eat since this morning. She is still peeping when I move the box. She does not have pasty butt or an impacted crop. Is there anything else I can do to save her? I'm hoping she will just need to sleep it off. Thank you for any help!

Quote:
Thank you, I hope she does too.
sad.png

What you have done so far sounds good. You could try mixing a little sugar with the water you are giving to help perk her up. She is probably exhausted. As long as she is warm and hydrated you are doing good. Good luck, I hope she perks up soon.

She passed away just a little while ago.
hit.gif
Poor little girl! I tried to save her but she must have had something else wrong. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

I think you're right... there must have been more going on. Somehow the other chickies can tell, I think. You did everything you could
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom