HELP! Losing all my chickens!

Dont get down on yourself, it is trial and error. Even experienced keepers have things happen.

Sorry, but a few more questions...
How many chickens were you keeping together and how big was the coop?

Here is just after the construction of our coop this summer.

There are two front doors that swing open and a small opening for them to get out. That opening we kept open all winter for them to get out and get their water and food. I am thinking now we should close it especially on days like this where we are getting 90km/hr winds and blowing snow :(

Last edited:
I know some hens have been known to peck at the vents of others. Its usually an individual hen and can be aggregated by stress or crowding, but some hens are simply cannibalistic.

That might be true.... I guess since I only have one left I will know if that is the cause soon. Since no one can pick at her. :(

Looks like you have a nice setup and I don't think leaving the door open should post any problem.I guess you will know soon enough; sadly either way she may have to go.

Yeah or if she gets the same issue then I will know whatever it was went right through them. If not, then I know she was the murderer :( and yes she will have to go when/if we get new ones. Trying to rule everything out.....not so easy.

So Sorry to hear about your girls. I too, have a few sick girls that I'm looks for help with but your coop looks nice and I don't see any issues with it. My girls have enjoyed lots of oatmeal on the cold days. Did you try calling a local avain vet? I have one making a house call to my girls tomorrow. Best of Luck, Don't give up on Chickens, they bring us so much joy over the years.

x2

I assumed it was bloody droppings but this is a good question are their abdomens full of fluid- is it internal bleeding or some other problem instead of droppings?

I do not feel fluid in their abdomen....blood I believe is only from the other chickens pecking. Sorry if I was not clear before. Once their vents are cleaned up and the vent is no longer bloody, but red/purple and swollen. They all seem fine and laying, eating & drinking before I find them like this.

So Sorry to hear about your girls. I too, have a few sick girls that I'm looks for help with but your coop looks nice and I don't see any issues with it. My girls have enjoyed lots of oatmeal on the cold days. Did you try calling a local avain vet? I have one making a house call to my girls tomorrow. Best of Luck, Don't give up on Chickens, they bring us so much joy over the years.

Hey Manlatogirls....would love to call a vet, but the hubby will not pay $70 for a vet bill, so this is me learning on my own the best that I can. :( I did call the vet, but they did not want to help without seeing the chickens. :(

Well Big Hen is all healed and wanting out of the dog kennel so I introduced her back today to Whitey the lone chicken left in the coop. I watched them interact for 20 mins and all looked great, but then as I suspected Whitey started to peck at Big Hen. I really am starting to think that she ended up killing the other two and now she is starting on the last chicken (Big Hen). Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do with a cannibalistic chicken? I would love to save her because Big Hen will be the lone hen in the coop. Whitey (the cannibal) is now in the dog kennel inside the chicken run. My husband is saying that our neighbor will cull her, but at this point I would rather weigh out all my options before we do that.

Well Big Hen is all healed and wanting out of the dog kennel so I introduced her back today to Whitey the lone chicken left in the coop. I watched them interact for 20 mins and all looked great, but then as I suspected Whitey started to peck at Big Hen. I really am starting to think that she ended up killing the other two and now she is starting on the last chicken (Big Hen). Does anyone have any suggestions as what to do with a cannibalistic chicken? I would love to save her because Big Hen will be the lone hen in the coop. Whitey (the cannibal) is now in the dog kennel inside the chicken run. My husband is saying that our neighbor will cull her, but at this point I would rather weigh out all my options before we do that.

You cant cut the tip off the beak ive heard them do that to egg eaters.

Back
Top Bottom