HELP! Mama chicken is picking out her babies new feathers!

arkansaschicks

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
little rock
I have a mama hen that is picking out the new feathers on her 3 week old baby chicks. I have tried separating them and both babies and mom throw a hugh fit!! What can I do? I am afraid that if I leave them together she will pick them bald. She is not pecking at them she is just pulling out their feathers and eating them.

Eating feathers can be a sign that she needs more protein. You could give her boiled or scrambled eggs for a few days and you could give her yogurt. Game bird feed has high protein. Just some thoughts until someone with more knowledge comes along.

I have been giving her and the babies scrambled egg every other day and she is eating the baby chick food which is higher in protein. I will give her some yogart like you suggested. Maybe being a mom is stressing her out. Are Ameracanas/EE's good mothers? My Buff Orpingtons have had several babies over the years and I have never had this happen.

I wish I could help...but I'm a newbie and other than momma needing protein (from what I've read on here) I don't have any suggestions.
sad.png
This will at least bump ur post back up and someone will have more info! Good luck!
hugs.gif

Thanks! I know I should just separate them but the babies get SO upset. I tried putting them with another hen that has chicks too but she only pecked at them.

I have tried taking them away from her and both mom and babies do not do well at all. The babies especially get very upset and I can't quiet them down.

Did you try clipping mamma's beak a little? Take toenail clippers, and nip off just the teeny tip of the UPPER beak only. That leaves a little gap, and she won't be able to pull the feathers, they'll slide thru the gap. Don't worry, it doesn't hurt, and it will grow back. But don't take off so much that she bleeds!

Lemmie know if it works for you, it's always worked for me:)

Back
Top Bottom