Help - mama hen threw baby out!!!!!!

Well I took your advice...I found someone sort of close(within an hour) that had black star baby chicks. I was only going to get one so this poor little chick could have a friend but...when i got there she had 2 females and I couldn't separate them! So now the little peep has 2 friends. There were born about a week ago and are a little bigger but not much. They seem to be getting along just fine.
wee.gif

They are so sweet! I did get lucky finding little ones as close as I did. And the tiny one has improved so much in just 2 days. She isn't wobbly and she is eating and drinking and snuggling with her new friends. My husband is happy that I got her friends - except he said that if I get any more he will have to build an addition on the coop! Don't tempt me! I am now trying to break the broody hen that started all this. She is not happy. I feel terrible but she is not cut out to be a mom and I can't have her just sit in there. She needs to eat and get back to normal.

They are so sweet! I did get lucky finding little ones as close as I did. And the tiny one has improved so much in just 2 days. She isn't wobbly and she is eating and drinking and snuggling with her new friends. My husband is happy that I got her friends - except he said that if I get any more he will have to build an addition on the coop! Don't tempt me! I am now trying to break the broody hen that started all this. She is not happy. I feel terrible but she is not cut out to be a mom and I can't have her just sit in there. She needs to eat and get back to normal.
I hope the following is helpful. A lot of other great info here: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Home.html
Breaking Up a Broody Hen

As said, a good broody wants to work. Indeed, some broodies will set a second, or even a third, clutch of eggs in a season. But her willingness to do so may outstrip your need for chicks. Hens who go broody after you have closed the breeding season must be “broken up”—i.e., must be gotten out of the mood to incubate. Actually, management of a determined broody you want to return to productive work in the laying flock is much like management of a broody you are going to set: Isolate her from the rest of the flock, with feed and water, but in this case without a shred of nesting material. My broody boxes have a wire floor—if I take the nest box out, there is nothing suggestive of nesting. I usually leave the broody in the bare box until she lays an egg, signaling the end of broodiness, then return her to the laying flock.
Another way to break up a broody hen is to isolate her with a vigorous young cock, whose undivided “attentions” will disrupt her urge to brood.

Thanks! That was helpful - I wasn't sure how long to leave her in the isolation cage. But I guess I will have to leave her until she lays again. I didn't have the time to separate her until this morning because of all the baby chick drama. But I actually saw her wandering around much more yesterday than she had in 3 weeks so maybe she will get over it sooner than later! I'm sure every hen is different but on average how long does it take? She is so mad at me - she loves peas from our garden and usually eats them out of my hand. Today she just looked at me and let them drop on the ground
sad.png

Sounds like she is on her way back to normal. Each one is different, depending on how "deep" they are. Since she has gone through a hatch, it may not take as long. She'll soon be eating out of your hand again.
smile.png

I don't know if I posted the "The Broody Breaker" page that I like so well, just in case here it is:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=broody+breaker

She didn't make it. She was fine for a couple of days - very active with the other chicks and eating and drinking. And then today she was very lethargic and droopy. My husband brought home some medication but it was too late. I'm so sad.

She didn't make it. She was fine for a couple of days - very active with the other chicks and eating and drinking. And then today she was very lethargic and droopy. My husband brought home some medication but it was too late. I'm so sad.
I'm so so sorry!! Just know that you did all you could do but it was not meant to be...be brave!

Thank you iwiw60. I was so bummed but I tried everything and you're right - it just wasn't meant to be. But one thing her life did bring to us are the 2 little black stars that I got to keep her company. They will have a forever and happy home here with us.

Back
Top Bottom